Anyone know how to make furniture appliques?

rjingaJanuary 4, 2010

I've posted on the woodworking forum, and searched the internet. I'm hoping to find out what materials are needed to make the very cute shabby/cottage like appliques to put on furniture. Most for sale describe being made of resin or something like that. I purchased some at Lowe's ($$$) that are carved wood.

I'm interested in the resin type. Here's a pic, if anyone knows of anywhere on line they may have seen for this? thanks!!!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

I've always thought of trying it w/a cake decorating 'tool'(or pastry bag)using wood putty. It seems like it *could* work, but maybe it's just my overactive imagination. ;o)

    Bookmark   January 8, 2010 at 11:37PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

well pattycakes if you try it, please let me know how it works :) not a bad idea, I also have considered something similar using caulk, which would work on a wall to make cute embellishments on a wall. I actually saw that on a TV Home show once, they did a border using a stencil to out line the pattern and then a caulking gun and caulk of course, let it dry and then painted over it. could work! Wood putty definitely seems like it would be better for furniture. but I would think then you could only do very small decorations?

    Bookmark   January 11, 2010 at 2:13PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

I think you're right about the decorations being smaller, and they would also have to be glued on, unlike the caulk. I think I saw that on an old Christopher Lowell episode~I used to love his show! ;o)

    Bookmark   January 12, 2010 at 1:05PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

You could buy one, make a cast of it and reproduce more- I'm probably doing some copyright breaking here! There are instructions all over the internet on how to cast things.

You could also look in the ads in the back of some of the home decorating mags. They have companies that specialize in these architectural details.

    Bookmark   June 14, 2010 at 4:27AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

Not too long ago someone on the home dec forum needed to replace a part of some decorative appliques on an old headboard. She found a product that was made just for that. I bet it would work for your project as well. I will look for the post but if I can't find it perhaps you can post over there and ask.

    Bookmark   June 15, 2010 at 9:31PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

I saw that post and have since purchased the material "quickwood" for a repair project I had. It is a really great product and easy to work with, but what I would see as the problem (although this material is SUPER) is that it would not be conducive to manipulating it into anything with any real detail. In other words, it's great for filling in spaces and can be relatively easily molded into a specific shape, but to have any degree of carved detail (like an shabby chic style designs), it would not work.

I'm yet to find a recipe or instructions that anyone has tried successfully.

    Bookmark   June 15, 2010 at 9:43PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo


I did some searching on the web and I think that maybe these are made by pouring resin into a mold.

There are websites that sell resin materials and the rubber for making the molds.. One is called Aldax( It is Australian but seemed to have good information. Whay don't you email them your photo and ask how it could be made?

    Bookmark   June 16, 2010 at 9:43AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

I found this in Romantic Homes magazine: Cottage chic appliques at

    Bookmark   June 20, 2010 at 11:28PM
Sign Up to comment
More Discussions
Halloween ideas
Hello, I am looking to do some knitted characters for...
Is there a product?
that you can design specific lettering graphics on...
Halloween Costume Update
Hi everyone, Some of you may remember me asking where...
Will bake potato bags burn in the microwave?
Will baked potato bags burn in the microwave? I use...
jewelry wire for Christmas dangle ornament?
I can only find a couple of tutorials on the web and...
Sponsored Products
Area Rug: Candice Olson Chocolate 9' x 13'
Home Depot
Laura Ashley Ruffled Garden Quilt with Sham Separates
New Beautiful Blue Persian Balouch Runner 3' x 9' Hand Knotted Wool Rug P831
BH Sun Inc
Sports Team Vertical Frame
Home Decorators Collection
Vintage Paris Art Deco Design Sheets - A Pair
$400.00 | Chairish
Colonial Mills Renaissance Storage Basket - 18 diam. x 12 in. - RA01A018X018
$136.99 | Hayneedle
Ruth Decorative Pillow
$319.00 | FRONTGATE
Rizzy Home Silver 18 Inch x 18 Inch Pillow Cover with Hidden Zipper
$37.00 | Bellacor
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™