Wrong Processor in Acer

premio53December 22, 2012

I recently bought an acer aspire 5733-6838 which is supposed to have an i3 380m cpu in it but all my diagnostics programs say it actually has an intel core i5-560m which is much faster and will handle more RAM. Which is correct? How could they accidentally ship it with the wrong processor?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
owbist

Go here and download then install Speccy. This is a neat little free program that will tell you what your computer has inside, re mobo, cpu, ram, video and other items.

Once you have that info you can use your favourite search engine and check the specs of the motherboard used. You may well be able to install more memory (RAM)

It says here that it has up to 4 gigs but can be expanded to 8 (2 sticks of 4 gigs) but you then need to buy 8 and lose those 4 already installed as 2 sticks of 2 gigs each are taking up the only 2 slots available.

Did you buy this new or from another user? Just wondering if they upgraded to the higher CPU.

Bookmark   December 22, 2012 at 3:25PM
zep516

AS5742-6838

Looks like maybe you got lucky, the model above as far as I can tell gets the i5-560m installed, and as you said your model should have the other one. I'm sure your diagnostic reports are correct, right click on "Computer" in the start menu select "properties" What does it say there for processor.

Bookmark   December 22, 2012 at 3:30PM
premio53

After doing some more checking on the internet I find others also are finding the i5-560m processor in that particular model even though it says differently on the laptop itself. I'll consider it an unexpected bonus. I assume I can upgrade it to 16 gigs of RAM if I wish instead of 8. Nice.

Bookmark   December 22, 2012 at 3:37PM
SnidelyWhiplash

You'd likely never notice a difference either way.

Bookmark   December 22, 2012 at 6:15PM
mikie_gw

The down side to 16gb of ram is a hibernate file of maybe 13gb(75%) and a paging file of maybe 24gb(150%) to eat up some hard drive space and add some time to your start up & shut down times. But you sure can open lots of programs, if you don't mind the cpu heat.

Bookmark   December 22, 2012 at 6:43PM
ravencajun Zone 8b TX

I like belarc free tells you everything in the pc.

Here is a link that might be useful: belarc

Bookmark   December 23, 2012 at 1:40AM
More Discussions
Foxit Reader - Edit Previus Typing
How is it done? Let's say I'm on line 12 of a form...
mxyplux
Still using XP with no problems.
Just thought this might interest those who are doing...
Jane
OK, turned my back, and the kids are playing with
backgrounds, and making the viewing easier on the eyes....
shaddy101
Video playing automatically
I have Flash disabled yet still get videos playing,...
davestexas
Google Stylish add-on help
I have Google Stylish add-on but don't know how to...
Cricketm
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™