Wolf gas range owners- how do you clean stove?

cmm6797November 30, 2011

Loving our new Wolf all- gas range but can't seem to clean it. The manual says to use a gentle degreaser but none seem to actually clean the stovetop. Forget about getting the cast iron grates clean! Looking for some real-life advice on how to clean the black stovetop as well as the cast iron grates. Thanks in advance.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
rhome410

The cast iron grates have never been a problem for me, and after awhile will 'season' like a good cast iron skillet. We scrub them with the scrubby side of the sponge if necessary, but otherwise, don't use soaps or chemicals so that they can season. The black shiny underpans, though.... Grrr. I gave up, and decided to have a stove that looks well-loved and oft-used. ;-) We use degreaser, the scrubbie side of the sponge when necessary, and leave it at that. I've tried soaking and every other method I can think of. I think I even tried no-fume oven cleaner at one time. I love my Wolf rangetop, but that black shiny surface, I think, wasn't a good decision and I'm surprised they've never come up with something better.

Bookmark   November 30, 2011 at 9:46PM
srjohnt

Maybe something has changed in the pan finish, as our Wolf dual fuel 304 range has the black shiny pans under the burners, and they're a breeze to clean for us. We just wipe them clean after use, and they still look like they did the day we uncrated the range 8 months ago.If they're particularly bad, a little kitchen spray cleaner helps the process. I boiled over some homemade cranberry sauce last week, and it came right up with no problem. Can't even tell it happened.

Bookmark   December 1, 2011 at 7:32AM
rhome410

Srjohnt, you aren't the first who's said they clean right after a spill, but I always find that 'right away' means you're messing with hot stove parts, or after it cools, the mess is cooked on. I think the worst on ours is cooked on grease... It's flat, so just leaves a dull spot, not something to get ahold of and scrub off.

Of course, part of our problem is that we have an 8-burner rangetop, and often other burners are in operation and it's all hot for too long...and all ages of our family uses it, so it's not just me with control over cleanliness.

Bookmark   December 1, 2011 at 11:22AM
rhome410

Wanted to clarify... Of course, we clean up major spills and boil overs right away, even when it means stopping everything and pulling the stove apart, but it's the constant spatters and splashes, and unnoticed little pieces of dropped food that are the ultimate problem.

Bookmark   December 1, 2011 at 12:06PM
cat_mom

What I have found that works on our Wolf 36" AG range:

1) Dishsoap w/ a sprinkle of BKF and a blue scrub sponge will remove most "gunk."

2)Dawn Power Dissolver Spray (gel) sprayed on, and left to sit for ~15 minutes is terrific for the really stubborn baked on residue. Use a blue scrub sponge after waiting the 15 min., rinse and then dry.

3) For quick wipe-downs/cleaning (even during those rare periods of un-use, the top of the range does show the dust!), I spray my alcohol-water-lavender oil on the burner pans (all burners off!), and wipe dry with a microfiber cloth or paper towel.

Once you've gotten your "system" down, cleaning the burner pans really is fairly quick and easy.

Bookmark   December 1, 2011 at 3:26PM
john_com

>>2)Dawn Power Dissolver Spray (gel) sprayed on, and left to sit for ~15 minutes is terrific for the really stubborn baked on residue. Use a blue scrub sponge after waiting the 15 min., rinse and then dry.

That stuff works great. 409 spray otherwise. 4+ years on my Wolf DF and the black is still in real good shape. A stove can be clean and still look well used.

Bookmark   December 1, 2011 at 7:32PM
rhome410

Man... I just have no luck, I guess. We used the Dawn Power Dissolver all the time, and still had the dull, rough spots of cooked on grease... At least I think that's what it is.

Here's an old photo. The duller spots have expanded since then...I'm just waiting til they cover the whole surface and maybe it'll look better. ;-)

The spots don't look white in person, just barely rough and not shiny

Bookmark   December 2, 2011 at 2:45PM
john_com

Try the Power Dissolver covered with plastic wrap and let it sit a long time, overnight maybe? I do have one spot it wont help, I think it was a tomato based sauce that went unoticed and then cooked in.

Bookmark   December 2, 2011 at 3:15PM
srjohnt

Rhome, something may very well have changed between your range and mine. Your cooktop and burners look nothing like mine, and yours looks much more difficult to clean. I did nothing to ours except walk into the kitchen and take the picture. It's easy to keep like this all the time.

Bookmark   December 3, 2011 at 10:06AM
francoise47

srjohnt, Your picture shows the Wolf DF with sealed burners.
Rhome has the Wolf all gas range.
The burners and grates are different on the two models.

Bookmark   December 3, 2011 at 7:48PM
srjohnt

Yes, francoise, I understand that they are different. the real question is: is the black underpan a different composition?

Bookmark   December 3, 2011 at 8:18PM
Linda Giorgi

I put my all gas 36 inch black pans in a black garbage bag and spray with oven cleaner. I leave over night and they come out sparkling clean. Between cleaning like this I just wipe down and admit I cook every night. It is a terror to clean. When I expect company or the holidays I do the oven cleaner.

Bookmark   September 22, 2012 at 3:47PM
cat_mom

I'll have to try that for "deep cleaning" lgiorgi. I keep meaning to do that to more thoroughly clean my oven racks, but haven't yet.... Happy to read that it works!

Bookmark   September 23, 2012 at 10:18AM
teachmkt

I've had an AG Wolf for 8 years and I can tell you your grates look great compared to mine. Our pans look like yours only more so. However you're right about "over time" as the scratches and stains become more pronounced and spread more over the cooking surfaces the more we don't notice it(like most I'm right handed so I favor the right hand side burners). It looks more like a well used tool at this point and we rationalize it to being more the way it should look not unlike my De Buyer saute pans. I figured that when we sell the house I'll just replace the pans.

Bookmark   September 23, 2012 at 3:38PM
palomalou

I have the same problem as Rhome. I do say, well, I bought it to USE it. A good soak in very hot soapy water, then BKF, gets a lot off, but not those dull (white in photo) patches. I too am thinking that when we sell the house we'll need to replace those pans.

Bookmark   November 18, 2012 at 11:33AM
Linda Giorgi

What about the the ring that is left with the starter. How do you clean that? It gets a build up. I try TOOTH BRUSH. but it still looks stained. As in rhome's photo.

Bookmark   November 18, 2012 at 11:41AM
rhome410

I don't even worry about that ring, lgiorgi, unless it gets full of crumbly burnt stuff and we brush or vacuum it out. My black pans now look far worse than in that photo above! ;-) I'm jealous of how srjohnt's look, but we just aren't fastidious about cleaning under the grates after every use. Too hot, too heavy, and too many (8 burner rangetop). Maybe when we have an empty nest and there aren't so many (hurried) cooks, I can keep better track of it myself. I missed the garbage bag technique and should give that a try...although I hold out little hope for the pans in the shape they are now.

Bookmark   November 18, 2012 at 7:35PM
gin_gin

I don't have a Wolf, but I do have a Viking AG that came with the house. The previous owner left it absolutely filthy. Layers & layers of grease, it looked like it hadn't been cleaned in years. A degreaser called Greased Lightning did an amazing job getting all of it off, especially on the enameled parts, and with very little scrubbing. You should've seen the grease in the drip tray.

There are some burnt on spots on the grates that I haven't gotten off, but I haven't really tried. I like it clean but don't care if it doesn't look showroom new. I get the Greased Lightning at Home Depot BTW. And the Viking is getting the boot next year.

Bookmark   November 19, 2012 at 8:36AM
kalapointer

You all are going to think I am nuts, but I use an SOS pad on my Wolf's shinny black pans. I use hot water and gently scrub them and I never have any scratches from the pads. I use to do this on my old black enamel gas cook top pans and it never hurt the finish and they looked like new.

Bookmark   November 19, 2012 at 12:46PM
lindabiddle

What about a steam cleaner? Would that work?

Bookmark   November 20, 2012 at 12:32AM
LeCake

HELP! I am a professional wedding cake baker that has been using an electric stove and I am thinking about buying the R366 all gas convection. I am known for my moist cakes. My questions are... Is the baking in this unit even if I have pans on all three racks? Does it take 30 minutes to warm up as I have heard? Do you find the baking to be more moist in this type of oven? Is it hard to figure out the inner temp? Once I buy it that's it! I am being offered a floor model for $3.800. Also, do you experience hot points? Thank you!

Bookmark   November 20, 2012 at 10:09PM
rhome410

I am going to look for Greased Lightning and maybe get myself some SOS pads! I don't think that's crazy at all. Mine couldn't really look worse. Maybe scratches would help blend in the dull spots. ;-)

I think the steam cleaner might do well on fresh grease or food, but I doubt it would do much on the baked on stuff... But maybe.

LeCake, I see you've started a new post with your range questions. I'm glad, as you'll get better answers to your questions that way. Best wishes!

Bookmark   November 21, 2012 at 3:18PM
kalapointer

LeCake, You should start a new thread about baking in a Wolf AG. You will never get any answers to your questions if you ask them in a thread about cleaning the stove top. Also you might want to do a search about baking in a Wolf AG first, you might find some answer that way.

Bookmark   November 21, 2012 at 3:23PM
rhome410

Shoot... Was at Home Depot last night and forgot about Greased Lightning... and SOS pads.

BUT I did spray my black pans with oven cleaner and have had them in garbage bags. It ended up for longer than overnight, because of...well, life and its activities. ANYway, this morning I got them out and they are looking MUCH better!!! I wish I'd tried this long ago, and they probably would've come completely clean. Right now, they've been scrubbed, resprayed, and rebagged to see if they can get pristine. I will do this at least once a month or so, and the stove should stay much nicer looking. THANKS

Bookmark   November 29, 2012 at 4:15PM
Linda Giorgi

I am so happy you were happy with the results of my suggestion about the oven cleaner.

Bookmark   November 30, 2012 at 8:52PM
redoingit

We have a 36" DF. For the first 6 years, it cleaned easily with warm water and Dawn. Now I have small baked on grease-type splatters, and I have tried all the over the counter "de-greasers", no luck. I have not tried SOS or any of the cleansers or scrubbies, as I was afraid it would scratch. I use Easy off to clean the burner caps, so I suppose I will try it on the enamel surface...but can't take them off and bag them, they are permanent. If any new suggestions, please advise....

Bookmark   January 28, 2013 at 1:27PM
rhome410

Redoingit, could you just drape a garbage bag over the top after applying the cleaner? Not exactly the same, but maybe enough to help.

Bookmark   January 28, 2013 at 1:33PM
redoingit

rhome410: great suggestion, thanks! I will try it that way. When I do the burner caps, and other oven items with Easy Off, I just put them on my deck on some newsprint....totally saturated. I like the garbage bag idea and will try it!

Bookmark   January 30, 2013 at 7:26PM
redoingit

rhome410: worked like a charm! Thanks for the suggestion. I actually covered it with Glad Press N Seal, and left it overnight. I would not have used Easy Off on an enameled surface, so thank you for suggesting it here! I use it on the inside of my gaggenau combi oven (not a manufacturer's recommendation) with equal success. Thank you!

Bookmark   February 5, 2013 at 6:26AM
rhome410

I'm happy you found a solution!

Bookmark   February 5, 2013 at 10:04AM
redoingit

Here's a pic....this was the burner used most. The baked on grease spots were almost translucent, but dull. All gone!

Bookmark   February 5, 2013 at 10:41AM
rhome410

That looks really great! Like new!

Bookmark   February 5, 2013 at 11:28AM
doonie

Oh my word! I am so happy I found this thread. I love cooking on my Wolf gas top, but the baked on grease crud looks horrible! It has made me regret getting the cooktop.

I am so excited to try the Easy Off and Press and Seal. Thanks for the tips!

Bookmark   May 20, 2013 at 7:43AM
littledave1000

Hi All!

I just discovered this site, and love it.

My Wolf cooktopâÂÂs black enamel surface, and the stainless steel trim around it, looked just like the photos posted by rhome410. Heres how I cleaned mine:

Spray the black enameled surface and the stainless steel trim with oven cleaner, and leave on for a few hours, until it drys.

Use a soft sponge with warm water to remove the oven cleaner.

Dry the water puddles with paper towels (I use Viva - âÂÂthe cloth-like paper towelâÂÂ)

After this, the black surfaces and stainless are clean, but look dull and streaky. To polish, use 2 micro-fiber cloths - one dampened, the other dry (I get the green ones at Costco). After polishing with the microfiber, the black enameled and stainless surface look brand-new!

To clean the grills and burner discs, I run them through the dishwasher. For my Bosch dishwasher, I take the top rack out, and Teepee the racks in there - itâÂÂs a bit of a tight fit, but it works.

Hope this is helpful.

Dave

Bookmark   June 29, 2014 at 12:08PM
rhome410

Ok...I'm back. Still hating those shiny black pans I can't ever get completely cleaned. After this many years, 'almost clean' piles up. What do you think would happen if I put them in the oven during self-clean? I only thought of it, because my porcelain coated baking pans that came with the oven can be cleaned that way. Also, one time, I left a porcelain enamel coated cast iron pot on a burner I thought I'd turned off. After following the hot smell, I found a very hot pot, but it was cleaner inside than it had been in a couple of years! But the pans inside that black enamel isn't cast iron, so maybe they'd warp?

The only other thought is getting them sandblasted and refinished like we did with an old sink, but, unlike the sink, with heat proof finish. Again, the thinner metal of these might not like that...

Just frustrated and getting a bit desperate. Was wiping up my stove this evening and found that someone (no one in the house knows anything about it, of course) had a boil-over that didn't get cleaned up. Not that I blame them, because when all the parts are hot, there anything to do but let it cool, and by the time it can be handled, everything is baked on.

None of the old tricks work any more. Nothing is taking off the years of layered, burnt-on stuff...mostly grease being the problem, I think.

Bookmark   January 9, 2015 at 10:32PM
Linda Giorgi

i guess you did not see my post. spray heavy with oven cleaner..put in black gsrbage bag and folds end to seal. 24 hours later rinse ...you now have sparkling black pans....(

Bookmark   January 10, 2015 at 12:06AM
rhome410

I also have a post above that said I'd tried that process a couple of years ago. It probably was the best option, but it still didn't get everything, and over time, the results get less impressive as more stuff stays on. Thanks, though.

Bookmark   January 10, 2015 at 12:46AM
ci_lantro

Rhome--I would not try the self clean oven cycle. Remember that your Wolf oven porcelain started flaking. If the ovens didn't hold up to just oven heat, I wouldn't expect the burner pans to fare any better.

I would try a couple of other things...

I've used paint stripper to clean up a really gross cook stove. Worked great but this was a vintage stove. I would try the citrus stripper first before resorting to Strip-eze.

Back when we bought our first house, the cast iron grates on the gas stove were extremely gross. I cleaned those up by soaking them in a bucket of lye water. One container of Red Devil in a five gallon bucket filled to cover. If you can find lye crystals...otherwise, look for a drain cleaner that contains sodium hydroxide. No suggestions on how to dilute...just experiment, I guess. You probably have a large plastic tub around that you can submerge the burner pans in.

Don't know if this would work but I'm tossing it out there as something else to try... I burned something sugar based on a stainless steel pan. After scrubbing and then googling, I can across a trick that worked like magic on the carbon. Poured hydrogen peroxide into the pan and then heated it to almost the boiling point. The hydrogen peroxide lifted the carbon off almost instantaneously. It was a miracle! Supposedly, it's the application of heat that causes the HP to really get to work lifting the carbon off. I don't know if this would work on burnt on grease...but carbon is carbon, right? So maybe it would work. But you would need a pan large enough to hold those burner pans and enough hydrogen peroxide (a lot) to submerge them.

My Wolf rangetop is a bear to clean up, too. I've resorted to using a razor blade very carefully to scrape up the black carbon spots....and I stay on top of it. Don't dare let it get away from me. But then, it's just me using it, for the most part. Only four burners & not eight to keep up with! And when I have a big oopsie, I immediately switch things to another burner and let the mess cool down. What drives me most nuts is the 'ghosting' from a spill. i.e., after I get a blotch cleaned up, when I wipe it with clean water, I can still see the outline of the blotch.

But, I do love the Wolf aside from the cleaning issue and it has been trouble-free, as I expected it to be. I have one of the no-longer-available open burner rangetops. I could wish for the control to be a little smoother in the low to simmer range. I believe the burners have been redesigned since I bought mine so Wolf may have smoothed out that bit of wrinkle in function.

Bookmark   January 10, 2015 at 1:26AM
rhome410

Thanks, Ci lantro. I've got some experimenting to do!

Bookmark   January 10, 2015 at 1:58AM
ci_lantro

Let me know how it goes, will ya' Rhome?

Bookmark   January 11, 2015 at 1:20PM
jellytoast

rhome410, have you considered having the black pans replaced?

Bookmark   January 11, 2015 at 1:35PM
rhome410

Sure will Ci_lantro!

Replacing them would let me start over, Jellytoast, but since we're still in the 'heavy stove use' phase of our lives, I think we'd just get back to this point unless I can find a better cleaning method than we've used thus far. Maybe when we get to the point where I have more control over use and cleaning, I'll get new, pretty ones, and do better to keep up. :-)

Bookmark   January 11, 2015 at 9:35PM
rococogurl

Try Astonish cleaner. The folks at Rohl recommended it. It's English, designed for Agas, and the only thing I found that cleans baked on oven stuff. I use it for my oven and cookware.

Here is a link that might be useful: Astonish Cleaner

Bookmark   January 12, 2015 at 8:44AM
More Discussions
How would you spend my $10k budget?
In the planning stage of a complete kitchen reno and...
enzaenza
BlueStar Refrigerators
Anyone taken a look at the new BS refrigerators? If...
Mistman
Bosch Benchmark Slide-In Induction Range Review
My Bosch Benchmark Slide-In Induction Range (HIIP054U)...
knoh
Annoying
Stopped in the appliance store that our builder likes...
Mini Soda
Anyone have a Wolf gas cooktop? Or another cooktop you really like?
I've found a lot on Wolf range's but not any reviews...
happyallison
Sponsored Products
Dalton Rubbed Bronze Three-Light Bath Fixture
$109.90 | Bellacor
Dualit 40417 Vario 4 Slice Classic Toaster-Red - 40417
$319.99 | Hayneedle
Hudson Satin Nickel 86-inch to 120-inch Curtain Rod
$71.95 | Bellacor
Stripe Green Indoor/ Outdoor Rug (5' x 7'6)
Overstock.com
WAC Modern Forms | Polar WS-3226 Bath Light
$439.00 | YLighting
WhiteHaus Large Quatro Alcove WH3618 36 in. Single Basin Sink with Integral Drai
$998.00 | Hayneedle
Sheffield 60" Double Bathroom Vanity by Wyndham Collection - Espresso
Modern Bathroom
Humble + Haute Sussex Plum Queen Tufted Upholstered Headboard
Overstock.com
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™