Handmade Gift Ideas With Rosemary

StampingWithNoelJanuary 11, 2012

Anyone have a good idea for a handmade gift using Rosemary? My hubby has decided we have too much growing throughout our garden and wants to pull a few plants. I'd hate to see it all go to waste.

I'm thinking of doing firestarters (seems about right for this time of year, although not so much for where I live). I also thought of rosemary salt for the kitchen (sea salt in a jar with a sprig of rosemary ... wouldn't it pick up the oils over time as sugar does with vanilla bean?).

Any other ideas out there?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
pixie_lou

On the idea of "food gifts" - a friend once gave me a bottle of orange-rosemary vinegar. And I've had rosemary-crushed hot pepper olive oil. I've seen people use the stems of the rosemary for skewers to grill with.

As for crafts - you could use the branches similar to evergreen branches to make a wreath or a culinary swag. A branch of rosemary would add a nice scent to a bouquet of flowers.

Bookmark   January 14, 2012 at 2:52PM
KatyaKatya

Dry rosemary leaves can be incorporated into handmade paper. I did it.
They can be added to small stuffed toys - any stuffing, especially nice in toys filled with some kind of seed, like bird seed. (I once had a lot of bluebonnet seed (=lupine) and made small rag critters stuffed with it. They came out like miniature bean bags - very interesting.) Rosemary added to pillow stuffing is said to improve memory.

Bookmark   February 5, 2012 at 9:11PM
cookie8

Smudge sticks? I made some lavender one for a friend (and myself) who is very much into spirituality as they are used to bless and protect your home, according to native cultures.

Bookmark   February 13, 2012 at 6:49PM
jessicaml

I just threw away a photocopy from a library book with a recipe for herb butter which could be frozen until gift-giving time. Too late for this batch of rosemary, perhaps, but maybe useful for another time. I wish I had the right climate for rosemary!

Bookmark   April 16, 2012 at 12:23AM
More Discussions
old - old - old crafts
Boy - looking at that Pack O Fun magazine got me thinking...
toomuchglass
yooooo - hooooo
Merry Christmas everyone. Miss the old days at this...
grandma_bonnie
boot jewelry
Anyone here make boot jewelry? Looking for ideas and...
debrak2008
Would like to learn decoupage.......
....but have some questions. 1. Must water be used...
pink_warm_mama_1
Town Fair Vent
So yesterday I set up some jewelry I make, which I...
sameboat
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™