Viking Hood fan

Falkirk18November 11, 2012

I have been having issues with a Viking hood since I moved into this house. Let me explain...

The hood wasn't moving any air, so I had the ducting redone since it wasn't the correct size for the 1200CFM exhaust fan in the hood. It is all 10" ducting, with the correct sized cap on the roof.

But, the hood still isn't moving much air. So, I'm thinking the fan is rotating in the wrong direction... Mine is rotating in the opposite direction of the attached picture.

Anyone have any comments/input on my problem? If the fan is rotating in the wrong direction, how do I fix it?

Thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
weissman

How do you know it isn't moving air? Hold a piece of paper really close to the baffles and sees if it pulls it up. Many people assume the hood will really suck things up from a great distance but that's not the case.

Bookmark   November 11, 2012 at 11:14PM
kaseki

In addition to weissman's suggestion, the symptoms could be consistent with not moving air.

Assuming that there is a damper in the path, the damper would block air trying to go the wrong way, so the fan would not be moving air except within itself.

Usually these fan motors are designed so that they start and run in only one direction, thereby making it unlikely that the fan can run backwards. But not all motors are of this type.

It would probably be worthwhile, after trying weissman's suggestion, to remove the fan and plug it in and see what output it has.

I would add that between the time I tested the dual-register venting above my wall ovens and later that year when I found one filter was staying clean, that one of the two dampers had become bound closed due to some additional screws added to the ducting. So check the damper for free movement while the fan is out.

kas

Bookmark   November 12, 2012 at 7:30AM
Falkirk18

Thank you for the responses... Let me answer some of the follow-up...

The hood is only moving a small amount of air (measured at approx 200CFM above the stove halfway to the roof in the new 10" ducting. So, it is moving a small amount of air, but nowhere near the 1200CFM that it is rated at.

There damper above the stove is not blocked or sticking, so that isn't the issue either.

I'm not an expert in centrifugal fans, but everything I can find is that is should spin in one direction for it to operate correctly. However, if it spins/operates in the wrong direction, it will still move a small amount of air, which is what mine seems to be doing.

In regards to the fan itself, it just plugs into the actual hood, so I'm not sure it is wired improperly. I'm guessing it could have been manufactured incorrectly? Has anyone ever seen one of these fans operating in the wrong direction?

Thank you again for the comments.

Bookmark   November 12, 2012 at 9:56AM
Falkirk18

Here is a link to a video of my fan spinning in the wrong direction. I just turned it on then off again so you can see the direction of operation. This obviously is opposite of the pictures in my previous post, so that is why I've come to the conclusion that it is probably my issue.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/0fsysw5itbzzomn/IMG_0976%20%281%29.MOV

Bookmark   November 12, 2012 at 10:04AM
weedmeister

Link doesn't work for me.

Bookmark   November 13, 2012 at 5:07PM
Falkirk18

Sorry about that. Try this link.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/0fsysw5itbzzomn/IMG_0976%20%281%29.MOV

Well, I had a Viking tech out to the house, and he confirmed my suspicions. The fan motor is in backwards, causing it to rotate in the incorrect direction. Since the unit comes as one piece, it looks like Viking assembled the product wrong at the factory. Nice job Viking!

Bookmark   November 14, 2012 at 8:38AM
doug_gb

Works in Austraila :)

Bookmark   November 14, 2012 at 10:54AM
More Discussions
Best place to buy appliance parts
I have a GE range (6 yrs of age) for which I need parts....
puzzlefan
DCS Gas range review
DCS gas range review
brett_champagne
Zephyr Hurricane vs Broan QP430SS
Hi everyone, I'm hoping to get some advice or stories...
brewcat
good experience with AJ Madison
Got a really good deal on $5k worth of Bosch appliances...
logastellus
Questions about noisy back draft damper on vent hood roof cap
One female here who is definitely not a diy type person....
texasgal47
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™