When should one replace a refrigerator?

jerry_njNovember 19, 2012

We have a Whirlpool bottom freezer refrigerator that is between 15 and 20 years old. It has performed flawlessly for this time but now the ice maker is not making ice. Some simple troubleshooting did not find the problem. The refrigerator also has some minor shelving problems/wear. I think it is rather efficient, but I will guess models now on the market are more efficient.

The ice maker problem followed the a period when I had the freezer set warmer to get more cooling in the refrigerator section - this was because we were without electric power for more than 9 days due to hurricane Sandy - New Jersey. I ran the refrigerator off an aux generator on a 50% duty cycle. I have reset the freezer to the normal cold, ice cream if reasonably solid but still no ice (the water feed appears to be able to deliver the water input).

Is it reasonable to say it is time to look for a new refrigerator? I have had good experience with Whirlpool and see a similar model on "sale" for abut $1,000. It may be a good time to replace.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
puzzlefan

Replacing appliances is a lot like vehicles. You replace it when the cost of maintenance is greater than the cost of something newer. Our older Amana has been working fine with one minor service call two years ago. It was making odd noises and I thought it might need replacement. The tech checked and said no it just needed a good cleaning underneath This is a DIFFICULT job as Amana did their best to bar access to the rear of the fridge/coils. With the techs help, I pulled out the fridge, removed the back cover,used the shop vac to blow out the back and then vacuumed up the accumulation of pet hair and dust. The fridge is quiet now and no longer runs excessively.

Bookmark   November 20, 2012 at 9:34AM
More Discussions
Lacanche-beautiful but how functional?
I am very tempted to splurge on a Lacanche for our...
mbwestfall
36" Rangetop & Wall Ovens vs. 48" Range
Our current kitchen plans call for a 36" rangetop...
greasetrap
cancer warning on kitchenaid dw
New kitchenaid dishwasher manual has warnings for chemicals...
kickball
My GC thinks I need 1000 cfm and I think he's crazy
So I actually don't think he's crazy and he's right...
crl_
Can you cook a good beef filet in a Miele combi steam oven?
I spent some time at an appliance dealer yesterday...
barbja99
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™