Lilies

craftyrnJuly 9, 2006

Like Pink ? Or do you prefer Orange . Unfortunely the dratted Japanese beetles like them both-- I've probably picked 100 of the buggers off just today & dropped them in the soapy water-- I'm almost to the point of considering a chemical deterent .

Diane

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
publickman

These grow wild in California, but I prefer the pink Oriental lilies, which have more fragrance.

Are Japanese beetles the ones that are irridescent green? I think you can put out traps for them as well.

Lars

Bookmark   July 9, 2006 at 9:03PM
riverrat1

We found this flower in the back of the property last year. So we potted it up and promptly forgot about it until a few days ago. DH found it blooming with absolutely no help from us. Do either of you know what it may be? DH says he seems to remember someone a loooong time ago telling him it was a wild gladiola? I may ask over on the garden side of GW.

Lars, That lilly is amazing! Is that particular one in your yard?

Diane, I love lillies. I have some very similar to yours. The only thing is that mine are all bloomed out so it's nice to see yours.

Here is a link that might be useful:

Bookmark   July 9, 2006 at 9:43PM
publickman

Karen, I have that flower in my yard also, but I don't know what it is - my ex-housemate planted it. It's very low maintenance.

BTW, Scott went with us to the Lotus Festival today, and I bought another heliconia and two gingers, but I'm not quite sure what they are, as they were incorrectly marked. I'll continute this on another thread, since this is about lilies and beetles.

The is a wildflower here, and the photograph I took was from Serrano Canyon in Point Magu State Park in Malibu.

Lars

Bookmark   July 10, 2006 at 12:24AM
canarybird01

Lovely lilies everyone !

Karen and Lars - your unidentified flower is a CROCOSMIA, a member of the iris family, and also called Montebretia, which grows from a corm and blooms in the summer and early fall. I love these and since seeing them growing in Canada, I have bought the corms and grown them here in my garden.

SharonCb

Here is a link that might be useful: Crocosmia (Google page)

Bookmark   July 10, 2006 at 8:39AM
brenda55

I especially love lilies and these are very pretty. Thanks for sharing the pics.

Brenda

Bookmark   July 10, 2006 at 11:12AM
dedtired

My Stargazers are about to open. They are maginficent. I will post pictures when they blossom. This is one of the times i wish we had smell-o-vision.

I like the pink one, Diane.

Pam

Bookmark   July 10, 2006 at 4:15PM
annie1992

I like the pink one best, although I always liked those orange lilies, we have a bunch at the farm, Grandma always called them tiger lilies.

Good luck with the Japanese beetles, I was just reading in one of the farming periodicals that there's a real problem with them this year, especially in Illinois and Indiana. There isn't really a chemical deterrent, they are not susceptible to most and even if you kill some, more just take their place that aren't susceptible. Ag agents are seriously worried.

Annie

Here is a link that might be useful: Japanese Beetles ravage Midwest fruit

Bookmark   July 10, 2006 at 4:25PM
riverrat1

Lars, Did you take pictures at the Lotus Festival? I would be interested in knowing what kinds of ginger and heliconia you purchased. Are the plants bloomed? I'm still looking for the yellow ginger that we discussed in a previous thread. When/if I find it I'll let you know.

Bookmark   July 10, 2006 at 8:34PM
publickman

Karen, I started a thread that has my pictures from the Lotus Festival - there are quite a few. I also described the types of ginger and heliconia that I bought. Some of the gingers are hardy to zone 8, and so you should be able to grow them. I have some yellow ginger in my front yard that makes extremely fragrant (although not showy) flowers. I bought very small (and cheap!) ginger and heliconia - $22 for three plants. I wish I had known you wanted ginger because I could have sent you some red ginger I have, but maybe next year. It puts out lots of piggyback new shoots that are really easy to root.

Lars

Bookmark   July 10, 2006 at 9:04PM
More Discussions
white dishes that do not scratch or chip
Looking for durable white dishes
pianopiano
Apologies to St. Patrick
Not even the corned beef was done the traditional way....
dcarch7
So what is "a bunch"?
It drives me crazy when recipes call for a bunch of...
laceyvail
Half Ham (bone-in)
Which is best, shank or butt. If the package doesn't...
ryseryse_2004
How to fix rock hard espresso powder? :p
I am VERY careful about trying to keep powders dry...
party_music50
Sponsored Products
LBL Lighting | Lily Low Voltage Pendant Light
$232.00 | YLighting
Serena & Lily Brahms Mount Multistripe Throw
Serena & Lily
Indoor Area Rug: Palazzo Collection Multi 5' x 7' 3"
Home Depot
Delta Table Lamp
Lightology
Barrington Fishing Frog Fountain
Lamps Plus