Best size bathtub for my two kids to share? 5' too small?

threeapplesOctober 27, 2011

Our two kids (now 4 and 2) will have a jack and jill bathroom and the tub/shower will be in a separate space so they have privacy. Tomorrow we are choosing the bathtub and hardware for their bathroom and I'm thinking a 5' long bathtub is too short. I know they won't be bathing together forever, but for the next few years this might be too short. They could come into our bathroom to bathe, but that might be a nuisance. We plan to just get a basic one piece tub and do white subway tile up the wall for the shower part. Is there any way to make this look nice and not cheap/pre-fab? thanks for any comments.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
bethohio3

By the time they will be too big to fit 2 in a tub, they will be too old to want to share. A standard tub should work just fine.

Bookmark   October 27, 2011 at 10:15PM
andi_k

I completely agree with bethohio3. My boys are 4 years apart, so didn't really ever take a bath together, but they both went to showers by about age 5. The oldest just wanted to (and now he's 11 and I can never get him out of the shower!), and the youngest has to do whatever my oldest does.

Bookmark   October 28, 2011 at 7:37AM
athensmomof3

Ditto. My youngest still takes a bath most of the time at 6 but the other two were showering at 5.

I think your days of bathing together are fairly numbered, and it won't be long before they will be too old to want to share. I think 5' is fine.

Bookmark   October 28, 2011 at 7:54AM
GreenDesigns

If you want a larger tub, put it in the master. You're already at the age where they will consider it "icky" to be in the same room with each other, much less bathe with each other.

Bookmark   October 28, 2011 at 9:54AM
kirkhall

Even my girls (who are generally more social than boys anyhow), age 6 and 3 (and off the growth charts) will fit in our 5 foot tub for bathing. And, I've heard more than a few times from my 6 yr old she wants to shower, so I know her bathing days are numbered. (I just don't trust she'll get all the shampoo out of her long hair in the shower; again a concern that isn't for boys.) 5' is fine.

Bookmark   October 28, 2011 at 11:19AM
momto3kiddos

Ha Ha!! I just bathed my three kids - ages 1, 4, & 6 all at once in a 5' tub. No one has lots of room, but they all fit and they think it is awesome. I know I will not get to do that for much longer, so I enjoy their little parts tangling up with each other in the tub as long as I can. There is plenty of room for two of them - even the 4 and 6 yo. I am planning a jack and jill for my girls, too.

Bookmark   October 30, 2011 at 6:28PM
More Discussions
Nantahala / Amicalola / Tranquility / Garrell and Associates hous
My husband and I have been planning our new house for...
DivinityMorgan
Help With Hip Roof and Mixed Pitches (+ Please Critique My Home Front)
Hello, I and my husband are building a colonial with...
mary8153
Raised basement
For a level lot, a basement is usually underground....
net42k
New here. Please critique my house plan sketch, thanks
Hello. We are a family of 5 hoping to build a house...
angeliquereagan
It's March 2015: How is your build progressing?
Zorro-anyone can start one. :) Link to It's February...
autumn.4
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™