using a simmer plate on gas range. Why not?

Fori is not pleasedNovember 10, 2013

Hi. I'm range shopping. After reading old posts, it seems that some have concerns about whether or not the "pro-style" gas ranges simmer decently.

If I DO end up with a gas range that simmers poorly, is it that big a deal to use a simmer plate? I don't have experience with these (except under a percolator in a camper) but is the solution that simple?

I've never had problems simmering with previous cooktops but none were especially high powered except the induction which of course simmered beautifully.

I guess I'm just hoping it's not an issue if one is willing to pull out the plate. Appreciate any guidance! Thanks.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
vpierce

We have an American Range range that won't go low enough for me, so I use a simmer plate. No problem....

Bookmark   November 10, 2013 at 11:24PM
sjhockeyfan325

I had a Viking cooktop that didn't simmer and a summer plate didn't help much, but it was inexpensive - can't hurt to try it.

Bookmark   November 10, 2013 at 11:31PM
wekick

Avoid a simmer plate that allows a lot of contact --pan to simmer plate because cast iron holds the heat. If you get one, get something like the simmer mat. It will hold the pot up a little with very little contact with the metal. You might also stack the grates. There are still some that say they can't get the simmer low enough. You can also use the oven to simmer provided it will go low enough. I used to cook split pea soup that way and it never burned.

Here is a link that might be useful: simmer mat

Bookmark   November 11, 2013 at 12:32AM
Fori is not pleased

Thanks for the input. It just seems like such a simple thing. Sort of like a wok ring. I'm sure not quite as simple as being able to actually turn down your burner far enough, but not then end of candy! I mean end of the world. :)

Bookmark   November 11, 2013 at 2:59PM
wekick

You can compare the heat on your burners on the low end as well as the high end. You only need to know the BTU rating. Some manufactures list the simmer in temperature, a number meaningless in actual cooking. A pan of water is one thing and a pot of mashed potatoes is another. The type of pan and tghe metal it is made of also figures in. You can find them in the 350-500 BTU range, which should be a pretty good simmer.

Bookmark   November 11, 2013 at 4:32PM
More Discussions
New Bertazzoni Induction Range?
I just saw a press release from Bertazzoni about a...
anyajg
Parts question: Fridgidaire Gas Stove Igniter
The oven igniter on our gas stove quit working. I went...
Pooh Bear
HELP PLEASE New Dacor range to replace old DCS (Fisher Paykel) range?
We moved into a house that has a 9 year old DCS by...
princesspronoid
Lacanche-beautiful but how functional?
I am very tempted to splurge on a Lacanche for our...
mbwestfall
Increased price for high end appliances
Hi All, Sorry for the long post - I'm getting incredibly...
loveumms
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™