Favorite Kitchen Gadgets?
'Tis the season...and I'm looking for ideas for great kitchen gadgets. The ones that make you wonder how you ever lived without them. The ones you want to give to everyone you know.
As you can probably tell by my screen name (if you're a Seuss fan), I appreciate a good gadget when I see one (and while I don't have a zans for cans, I know that I should!). So...to get the ball rolling, here are a few of my faves:
- Microplane grater -- anything that sits still for too long on my counter risks being covered in grated Parmesan or nutmeg or zest!
- Zyliss garlic press -- I know it's somewhat flawed, but I still love it. Nice & sturdy & the garlic juice ends up in your dish not on your cutting board.
- Small, scooped silicone (Calphalon?) spatula -- love it & use it for everything. My mom has a skinny one that's flat on one side (no scoop) & has a long handle -- very nice also.
- Cookbook holder from Crate & Barrel -- love love love this thing. It was especially important when I only had 19" of working counter space!
- Suede pot-handle sleeve -- slips right over the handle of my Calphalon skillet. Not sure what will happen when I make my much-anticipated switch to cooking with gas...
- OXO scraper -- it's kind of silly, but I *really* love my scraper. It's the first thing I take out when I start cooking. Something comforting about the way it fits my hand, I guess...
I'm sure there are many others, but as I am without a kitchen right now (and have been for a little while), they are sadly out of sight, and, apparently, out of mind! We've survived using our beloved (esp. now!) Foreman grill (let's hear it for quesadillas filled with leftover [fill-in the blank], kids!), and Braun water kettle (yeah, cous cous....AGAIN...). But I guess that's a discussion for the appliance forum....