Calphalon Contemporary Stainless -- Stains?!

thearrysDecember 8, 2008

DH and I finally decided it was time to get rid of our junky old pans we collected through college and took the plunge and bought a set of Calphalon Contemporary Stainless. The pans are great to cook with... they're not non-stick so obviously we expected they might be a little harder to clean... but what we didn't expect was that now, after less than a month, they have whitish spots on them that won't come off even with Bar Keeper's Friend.

Does anyone know what these spots are or what is causing them? We have a water softener, so I don't think they are hard water spots.

We have washed the dishes in the dishwasher (since they are specifically noted as dishwasher safe), but even when hand washing we get the same results.

Should we just call it and return the set and pay the small increase to go to the Infused Anodized?

Any help or suggestions would be appreciated!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
shelcom

Try the following:

Mix some white vinegar with pure lemon juice and scrub the pan interiors with a non abrasive cloth. The spots are probably scale deposits from the dishwashing detergent. Some detergents have a high PH level which can spot stainless steel. In some cases salt will cause pitting or white spots, although that doesn't sound like what you're experiencing.

Couple tips to keep in mind. Add salt after water is boiling!!! Not before. Also, allow your stainless cookware to pre-heat over medium low heat for a few minutes before adding oil. And as a last step, salt your food before it goes in the pan, not after. Finally, I know the line is dishwasher safe. But you've made a substantial investment in quality cookware. Always wash by hand when you can.

Bookmark   December 11, 2008 at 12:12PM
More Discussions
glass top range / pots leave marks?
I have a new Kenmore Elite glass top range. The cooktop...
bretonb
tin lined copper saute pan
I bought a large saute pan at a flea market a while...
selfsown
which cookware to choose?
hi. i just joined the forum today. we're a newly wedded...
doduhdew
Is there lead in this antique brass pitcher?
Hello, I have a fondness for antique metal cookware...
bradleyd_svh
silicone baking mat aftertaste
i got silicone baking mats on overstock.com a couple...
ardcp
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™