Presto Multi-Cooker/Steamer

marie26December 17, 2004

Has anyone used the Presto Kitchen Kettle Multi-Cooker Steamer? There is a professional model as well as a regular model.

A friend told me that it is a great item for making chicken soup or cream soup or stocks? She had only used a professional steamer at a restaurant and not this particular item.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
lucysue

Howdy Marie! I'm way late here but just now found your thread.

We received one of these cookers for Christmas. So far, it's had a pretty good workout. At first, I wondered what I could do with it, it seemed redundant and we don't fry anything. I think it's the thermostat which makes it real handy. I haven't been able to get anything to stick in it yet and it washes like a dream. The first time I used it, the connection on the cord perturbed me until it dawned that it was a safety breakaway feature. Very clever!

I've made a number of soups in it; clear, cream, bisques, etc., for dinner guests and it worked beautifully! I now catch myself looking at most every raw foodstuff as potential soup material! I steamed about 5 lb. of thick winter squash and was amazed that it was plenty done in about 8 minutes. (I then peeled the squash and made a soup of it in said cooker.) I'm looking forward a couple of months when we have fresh garden veggies to steam. I would guess that a minute or two would be sufficient for most items.

In addition cooker will boil water faster than our gas range. So much for electric being slow! I haven't figured out how to steam rice in it yet, the holes in the basket are too large. Any suggestions?

Bookmark   January 20, 2005 at 9:19PM
marie26

Thank you for your response. How many quarts of water does it hold? I have a chicken soup recipe that calls for 8 quarts of water and would love to try it out in this.

Bookmark   January 20, 2005 at 11:57PM
lucysue

The cooker holds 6 quarts of water. You could either make a half batch or 'a little less' than the full recipe. Most soups don't depend on exactness as, say, a pastry or the like. Let us know how it turns out!

Before you use your cooker the first time, may I suggest you give it time to air and/or boil a couple of quarts of water in it, dump it, boil more water and so on until you get rid of any smell. Ours had quite a 'plastic' smell to it and took about 4 boil cycles to totally get rid of it.

Bookmark   January 23, 2005 at 12:20AM
marie26

I have lowered the amount of water in the recipe before so that wouldn't be a problem.

I was watching Good Eats the other day and Alton was showing how to cook soup in a pressure cooker.

LucySue, I have never used a pressure cooker but I was wondering if I should buy the multi-cooker/steamer or a pressure cooker. Have you ever used a pressure cooker?

Bookmark   January 23, 2005 at 1:38AM
lucysue

I guess it depends on what/how you like to cook. I haven't used a pressure cooker as much as my Mom has but it's a great way to tenderize. She made many a meal of melt-in-your-mouth beef, chicken and dumplings, corned beef, the best ham you can imagine, and so on. She also made stews, tenderized 'past prime' garden produce, that sort of thing. As a child, it seemed to take FOREVER for it to depressurize enough for me to get that lid off to sample the contents!

I really don't see the multi-cooker and pressure cooker overlapping very much. Personally, I would rather make soup (for instance) in the multi-cooker. I can add things at intervals so nothing gets overcooked. If you enjoy fall-apart pot roasts and things you can put in for a while and walk away, then a pressure cooker may serve you better.

Bookmark   January 26, 2005 at 6:00AM
More Discussions
New Viking Cookware
Has anyone tried the new Viking Cookware now being...
katespak
tin lined copper saute pan
I bought a large saute pan at a flea market a while...
selfsown
induction questions: heat distribution vs. pan size, moisture
I bought a single-burner induction hotplate to try...
meeotch
best (semi-pro) brand pots and pans for induction
hello we are renovating our kitchen and now it will...
robantwerp
Need advice on a soup pot
hi, I haven't bought cookware in years, so don't know...
ellenr22 - NJ - Zone 6b/7a
Sponsored Products
Oil Rubbed Bronze Single Handle Pull Out Kitchen Faucet
MR Direct Sinks and Faucets
Rizzy Home Applique and Embroidered Ornate Checker Board Accent Pillow Multicolo
$66.00 | Hayneedle
Parama European Sham - MULTI COLORS (EUROPEAN)
$55.00 | Horchow
Carousel Blue Dots Rectangular: 4 Ft. x 6 Ft. Rug
$86.95 | Bellacor
TOTO Claytonâ„¢ Bathtub, Medium/Wide - Cotton White or Sedona Beige
Modern Bathroom
Access Vision Round 12" Wide Brushed Steel Ceiling Light
Euro Style Lighting
Remington Outdoor Post Lantern
$239.00 | FRONTGATE
CorLiving Monterey Espresso Solid Wood Queen Bed
Overstock.com
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™