Saucepan vs Covered Casserole

jraz_waDecember 15, 2008

Looking at some new cookware for soon to be induction cooktop kitchen. I'm leaning toward the Demeyere Atlantis line, and I noticed that they have several covered casseroles in sizes that are saucepans in my current cookware - 1.6qt and 2.3 qt. The pan part seems to be shaped exactly the same - straight sides that are fairly high. It's just the handles that are different - long handle on saucepan and two hand grips on the casserole. Therefore, it seems like an ergonomic difference.

My thinking is that the casseroles would be better - more compact to store, easier to move to the oven, better looking if it goes straight to the table. Am I missing something? Is there a reason why I would want a saucepan handle in pots that large? I often tip my smaller ones, and the saucepan handles are nice for that. But I don't think I tip the larger ones much.

Would love to know your thoughts. Thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Fori is not pleased

Makes sense to me. Actually, my bigger saucepans don't have long handles and I guess I don't miss it. O, I guess they aren't saucepans then, are they? Ack I have no big saucepans! =)

Bookmark   December 18, 2008 at 1:23PM
alexrander

Really big sauce pans without a long handle are called 'stock pots' or if low, casserole.

I think I would rather have the long handle sauce pot for sizes under 3 quarts. It's a one-handed move, and easier to tilt, easier to reach on the stove to move, and less likely to get burnt.. etc. Once you get over 3 qts, it's probably better to consider two handles, or at least a helper handle. Over 4 and it's best with casserole handles.

Bookmark   December 21, 2008 at 9:22PM
shannonaz

Anything over 2 quarts I got casseroles. I didn't even know it was an option until I used them at a culinary school. Mine are All-Clad and I love them. They are way easier to store and I am not tempted to carry them with one hand. I find that they are generally too heavy and I shouldn't even try. I do use mine in the oven. I think it works better when I have multiple pots on the stove. Alexr's points all make really good sense, but I haven't run into any problems. I love my casseroles!!

Bookmark   December 27, 2008 at 3:57PM
jraz_wa

Thanks everyone for your thoughts. I like the idea of seeing at what point a saucepan becomes too heavy to really manage with one hand and go from there.

I have been paying attention to my cooking habits more. I definitely don't want to get rid of the saucepans in the smaller sizes.

thanks!

Bookmark   January 28, 2009 at 8:01PM
More Discussions
Kitchen Selective food slicer
Would anyone know of source for parts for Kitchen Selective...
debby_1
Best Non-Stick Cookware?
Saw a segment on this morning's news that says not...
jrb451
White film/Oxidation on Wusthof Handles
I recently bought a set of Wusthof Classic Ikon knives...
rmverb
Kitchenaid Stand Mixer
I have read threads in here from people who love their...
catt11
Club cast aluminum still made?
I am new to the list, so forgive me if this subject...
joan41
Sponsored Products
Cuisinart GGT-10 Gourmet 10pc Tri-Ply Stainless Steel Cookware Set
Overstock.com
Hotel Line 14-Piece Cookware Set
$399.99 | zulily
Farberware Classic Series Covered Saucepan - 50002
$24.99 | Hayneedle
Nonstick 2-Qt. Covered Saucepan
$99.99 | zulily
Cooks Standard Stainless Steel 1.5-quart Covered Saucepan
Overstock.com