Keurig Coffee Makers

annie1971December 13, 2008

Does anyone have an opinion on the Keurig coffee makers? I'm considering purchasing one. They seem to be well made (and I am willing to spend the money for a great coffee maker in that we've been through a series of really bad experiences with cheap brewers). I'm interested in opinions -- does the one- cup-at-a-time thing work for you (I think it will for me, but I'm not sure for my husband). Have you brewed more than one cup into a vacuum carafe? Would that work? Any thoughts and opinions would be appreciated. Thank you.

Annie

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
cuffs054

I've got two. I had the original model and recently got the high end unit. Except for the multiple cup sizes and the quiter operation the old one does as good a job as the new one. I love it for parties when everone wants something different. Not sure about your thermos idea, seems to defeat the purpose of it.

Bookmark   December 15, 2008 at 12:12PM
suz1023

my third one has just broken.
they keep exchanging them ,but the waste is too much to me. i've found awesome success with french press coffee. i have two single cup presses, so hubby and i can drink seperate brews, plus a six cup nissan thermos one for sharing. easy,peasy,delicious, and way cheaper!

Bookmark   December 16, 2008 at 7:57PM
annie1971

They seem so well made -- in what way did yours break? I'm willing to spend what seems like a good deal of money for a good, problem-free cup of coffee, even if we have to brew one cup at a time. I'm tired of problematic coffee makers! Thanks for sharing your issues with the Keurig coffee maker.
Annie

Bookmark   December 16, 2008 at 10:22PM
cuffs054

fallingwaters, please share how yours broke. Even my old one seems very well made and is going into it's fifth year with no problems.

Bookmark   December 17, 2008 at 8:21AM
suz1023

ours consistently break in the drip thing. seems that if a son, step son or son-in-law is the slightest bit heavy handed, it jams and no longer works. since i can't replace those otherwise wonderful young men, the keurigs are no longer an option here.
try the french presses--honest, they make the absolute best coffee, are inexpensive and take up very little room in the kitchen.

Bookmark   December 17, 2008 at 8:20PM
annie1971

Thank you all for your opinions! Frankly, I don't know what to do: I'm inclined to get the best deal I can on the single serve coffee maker. I can't decide what to do otherwise.

Bookmark   December 17, 2008 at 10:58PM
seagrass_gw

When we lived in the Netherlands we were introduced to the Senseo coffee makers and got hooked. My brother has a Keurig. I like the Senseo better because you can brew a double cup if you want and it is enough to fill a commuter mug. We can make a fresh cup of coffee, small or large/caf or decaf, whenever we want. It's just the 2 of us most of the time and we were constantly tossing out half of a carafe of coffee from a standard coffee maker each day. We bought ours from Amazon. I ordered Senseo decaf pods from Amazon, as well, but have a very large stash of Perla dark roast pods that I bought before we moved back to the States. I would recommend the model with the large water reservoir because it's easier when you have company.

seagrass

Bookmark   December 18, 2008 at 11:22PM
lindac

I also have a Senseo and am more than pleased. I have never used the Keurig, but the senseo works wonderfully and it's cheaper.....and so are the pods!
Linda C

Bookmark   December 19, 2008 at 9:53PM
annie1971

I'll take a look at the Senseo; I like that the Keurig has the option of using bulk coffee in the optional little basket filter.

Bookmark   December 20, 2008 at 1:56PM
cuffs054

I think the Keurig is easier to clean than the Senseo

Bookmark   December 20, 2008 at 3:55PM
deegeegirl

Hi Annie,

We had one of the original keurigs and after about 6 or so years (can't quite remember when we got it), it stopped pumping water through. Can't complain - I think we got our monies worth out of it. Called Keurig and they sent a new one at a 33% discount. Definitely didn't want to go without one.

I love the variety of coffee and tea flavors. My husband doesn't drink coffee, so this works well for me. Guests love it. It's especially nice when we have overnight guests - they can come down and get their own coffee. If you get one, check out coffeewhiz.com for great prices on k-cups. I think they carry a lot of the varieties you'll see at the Keurig site, although I still order from them as well.

Bookmark   December 22, 2008 at 11:37AM
annie1971

Thank you, deegeegirl. for the information and your opinion.

Bookmark   December 22, 2008 at 11:04PM
More Discussions
White film/Oxidation on Wusthof Handles
I recently bought a set of Wusthof Classic Ikon knives...
rmverb
Wagners 1891 Dutch Oven
I have a couple of questions about a 5 qt Wagners 1891...
jpc57
Help with a Farberware MicroBrew
I need some help figuring out how to use a Farberware...
ritaotay
Favorite tea kettle for induction?
Waiting patiently for my induction cooktop to be installed....
txjoyce
Kitchenaid Stand Mixer Food Grinder
My hubs gave me the meat/food grinder attachment for...
mimijacobs
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™