If you have a KA stand mixer, do you need a hand mixer?

catlover5December 29, 2012

If you have a KitchenAid stand mixer, do you still have a small handheld mixer? I have a tiny kitchen and am trying to downsize! If so, what brand? Thank you.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
nancylouise_gw

Yes, still use my hand mixer and immersion blender. I use my KA mixer for my heavy duty stuff-bread doughs, cookie doughs,etc. I use the HM for cake batters, pancake batters, lighter stuff. I'll use the immersion blender when pureeing hot soups in the stockpot or chopping small amounts of nuts or herbs in the chopping cup. NancyLouise

Bookmark   December 30, 2012 at 9:03AM
catlover5

Thank you. I do have an immersion blender too and a regular blender that also has a food processor bowl but I have yet to use that. So far I have left the KA on the counter to encourage me to use it on a more regular basis but I think if I end up putting it away, a hand mixer would be the way to go because it would be so much easier "to take out".

Bookmark   December 31, 2012 at 12:24PM
azzalea

Only YOU can really answer that question. It depends upon the type and quantity of cooking you do.

I have 3 kitchen aids and one hand mixer and yes, I need them all. The KA's are all different models and sizes, so have different uses. The hand mixer is great for quick things like whipping cream or for when you don't want to get the big machine dirty.

Bookmark   January 11, 2013 at 10:18PM
shear_stupidity

I agree about getting the big machine dirty. I use my KA frequently, but sometimes I just want to whip something together without all the "fuss."

Bookmark   January 27, 2013 at 10:12AM
klseiverd

Rarely use a hand mixer. BUT when I found a 7-speed, KA hand-mixer (BRAND new, in box) at a thrift store for $5... I jumped on it!

Bookmark   January 30, 2013 at 6:26PM
publickman

I use the hand mixer more than I use the stand mixer, except that I keep the cheese grating attachment on the stand mixer, and that gets used almost every day. I also have the meat grinder and ice cream maker attachments, but those do not get used as much. My immersion blender (also KA) has a whisk attachment, and that is great for whipping small amounts of cream, but can get messy if not careful.

I mix pancake batter by hand - I never thought of using a mixer for that.

Lars

Bookmark   February 14, 2013 at 6:14PM
More Discussions
Fermented cabbage
Many people really enjoy as me the taste of fermented...
GeorgeLiv
New Viking Cookware
Has anyone tried the new Viking Cookware now being...
katespak
induction questions: heat distribution vs. pan size, moisture
I bought a single-burner induction hotplate to try...
meeotch
Is there lead in this antique brass pitcher?
Hello, I have a fondness for antique metal cookware...
bradleyd_svh
Best stockpot recommendations?
I've been slowly upgrading my cookware (Demeyere, Le...
Gooster
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™