Windows media player network sharing service

Tiffany, purpleinopp GardenWeb, Z8b Opp, ALDecember 19, 2013

If anybody else is losing their mind trying every instruction and disabling every setting they can possible find in control panel (I thought) and services.msc, in the program options, startup folder(S) etc... I spent up to 2 hours on many diff occasions trying to find the right combo of search words to find the yet untried instruction that would finally get this stupid program I don't even use to stop running up to 10 versions of itself every time my computer restarted or was turned on from being off. I wish I could remember every setting I've changed/disabled trying to stop this thing, but none of them worked anyway.

I'd finally given up and was looking for info about the ramifications of just uninstalling it and/or deleting the .exe files that start it, but this finally worked. For the first time since getting this computer over a year ago, I rebooted and there's NO windows media player network sharing services running in the task manager.

At this link, I found this EFFECTIVE INSTRUCTION:
"Open Control Panel and click the link for �Turn Windows features on or off�. In the Windows Features dialog, expand the �Media Features� and deselect �Windows Media Player�."

I'm using:
Windows 7, Windows Media Player 12
Just one computer with no network (AFAIK,) nothing hooked to it, not even a vid camera, no device has ever been sync'ed from this machine, nor ever even hooked up to it in any way except to put the memory card from the camera in the proper slot. I've never once used the sharing service ON PURPOSE and it's said disabled for almost a year, since I first discovered the setting in services.msc.

So it's finally off/stopped! BUT I STILL WONDER and give up for today, searching for an answer to this question: What WAS it doing? Who was it sharing with, what was it sharing? If you have any inkling of a vague notion, I'd love to hear it!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
zep516

"Windows Media Player 11 can share media between different computers on the same network, and can even share media with the XBox 360 as well. For this to work, thereâÂÂs a network sharing service that shares the library even if Media Player isnâÂÂt open. ItâÂÂs really a great system if you use it."

http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-vista/what-are-wmpnscfgexe-and-wmpnetwkexe-and-why-are-they-running/

Bookmark   December 19, 2013 at 7:12PM
Tiffany, purpleinopp GardenWeb, Z8b Opp, AL

I'm sure. There is no other computers or game system hooked to this computer, never has been, nothing has ever been hooked to it except to put a memory card in a slot. Not even a printer. With what other entity was it sharing? Sharing what??!

Your link clickable. This page is one of the last instructions I tried before finding something that finally worked.

Bookmark   December 20, 2013 at 2:18PM
zep516

The network sharing service "shares" the library of music in Windows media player with another computer. That's all it shares. How your network sharing service for windows media player was turned in the first place, I'm not sure.

For instance:

My brother has a lot of music in his Windows Media player, so instead of me having to download it to listen, I just listen to it on my computer via the Network sharing service. So it's just 2 computers sharing music, no personal information is shared, just music......

Bookmark   December 20, 2013 at 2:33PM
Tiffany, purpleinopp GardenWeb, Z8b Opp, AL

Excuse me for not saying thank you for your input above, rude! Sorry, I appreciate it.

Yes, it's quite the mystery, one not answered in hundreds of articles and blogs of desperate people trying to make this thing stop. Consuming so much of their time, by the time they finally accomplished this goal, totally distracted from figuring out what the freak it was doing. I didn't forget, so if anyone offers an answer even years from now if this question is still sitting here, I will love to know. The more I learned about what this thing does, trying to get control of its' actions, the more of a mystery it became. I even deleted all of the music files at one point to see if that would do it. Nope, still sharing something. Tried looking up files by last accessed to see what was being shared but couldn't find what I wanted to know in Win explorer.

I'm not much of a tweaker, just a user, more and more confused by each passing version of Windows... which always seems more and more determined to completely change everything we know how to do every time.

I felt like Roy Scheider at the end of Jaws when I finally rebooted and it was stopped! Once I get back to shore on my scuba tank raft, it will be weeks before the habit of starting every fresh computer session and wake-up from sleep mode with crtl+alt+del to kill all instances of that in the task manager. I'm still not convinced I won't find it running again one of these times. There were subsequent Jaws movies, (quality notwithstanding.)

Bookmark   December 20, 2013 at 2:58PM
More Discussions
Super-AntiSpyware - where do I go to get it?
Super-antispyware - that IS the GOOD one, isn't it?...
Janey - formerly jane2
Can't figure out why my Firefox Colorful Tabs don't display
My colorful tabs stopped working and I can't figure...
lynnalexandra
Problem watching videos from Yahoo on Android tablet
Yahoo videos won't play on my Android tablet. Videos...
Lisa_in_Germany
Turning of/on touch pad on laptop
For reasons I can not determine my Gateway NE71B W8...
jerry_nj
Anyone else getting Lottery spam since HOUZZ took over?
Of my various e-mail accounts, only the one I use on...
lazy_gardens
Sponsored Products
CHF Industries Elise Lined Tailored Curtain Panel - 1Z46940GCT
$22.91 | Hayneedle
Secret Cordless Cellular Shade Cotton 23 x 72
$62.95 | Bellacor
Gardenia Faux Linen Sheer Single Panel Curtain Panel, 50 X 96
$25.95 | Bellacor
Flourish Mahogany 28 to 48 Inch Supreme Curtain Rod
$29.95 | Bellacor
Chilling Rod
$13.99 | zulily