How to clean iron fry pan?

jannieDecember 7, 2005

I have an iron frying pan. It's about eight inches, in a square shape with a handle. It's very heavy. I need to use two hands to lift it. Used it a couple of nights ago to fry three tiny filet mignon steaks. They were delicious. To clean it out, after it cooled, I dumped in a handful of salt, let it sit, then scrubbed around the salt with a crumpled up paper towel. Now it looks pretty good but is giving off a bad smell. Is there a better/ more hygienic way to clean it?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
triciae

Here's some info on cleaning cast iron cookware. Hope it helps. I love cooking with cast iron and I'm sure your steaks were delicious!

Here is a link that might be useful: Cleaning Cast Iron Cookware

Bookmark   December 7, 2005 at 4:59PM
lindac

That's a very hygenic way to clean the pan.....one additional step is to heat the pan over the burner.....and rub with a paper towel and some cooking oil.
Linda C

Bookmark   December 7, 2005 at 7:21PM
Ratherbgardening

I've used cast iron for a looong time and I always wash them in soapy water and put them on a burner turned to low or med. to dry them. If they look too dry, I'll put in a little oil and rub it in good while they're warm. They aren't delicate, that's for sure. I have a couple of the pans that went on a lot of camping trips with my family when I was young and they're fine.

Bookmark   December 7, 2005 at 9:11PM
kbuzbee

Mine are fairly well seasoned but I can almost always get them clean with hot water and a nylon bristle brush. Very quickly. Warm them on the burner after cleaning (as mentioned above) and a small wipe of oil and you're good. I've read somewhere you have to be careful about the oil going rancid if you leave it set out too long but I use my CI almost every day for something so it's never been an issue.

Ken

Bookmark   December 9, 2005 at 1:32PM
dereckbc

First thing to do is after you remove the food and while the pan is hot is pour a cup of water and let it de-glace the pan. Than all you need to do is use hot water to wipe it out, dry it and oil it.

However, if you get something really bad or it looses it seasoning, put it in a self cleaning oven and rune the over through a clean cycle. Once finnished clean the ash off and re-season the pan.

Bookmark   December 10, 2005 at 10:58PM
More Discussions
silicone baking mat aftertaste
i got silicone baking mats on overstock.com a couple...
ardcp
induction stove power boost function
Have a set of Zwilling cookware and their brochure...
metaphilos
Need advice on a soup pot
hi, I haven't bought cookware in years, so don't know...
ellenr22
induction questions: heat distribution vs. pan size, moisture
I bought a single-burner induction hotplate to try...
meeotch
Nu Wave Oven
Has anyone bought this? Is it worth the cost? It is...
marie26
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™