Cleaning Stainless Cookware

Holly73December 7, 2004

Can anyone please share with me how you clean burnt residue off the bottom of your stainless steel cookware? I left the flame too high with little liquid in the pan, and have this awful brown residue that doesn't seem to come off. I used some liquid Barkeepers Friend and scrubbed with a brush, but it only took some of it off. Help!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
wildchild

If the residue is on the inside put some baking soda and a little water (less than an inch) and you can deglaze it by boiling.

On the bottom outside elbow grease and and a steel scrubber. Barkeepers friend is too gentle. Cookware that is used gets scratched and stained. No big deal....its functional not decorative.

Bookmark   December 7, 2004 at 7:10PM
holly_bc

As a regular *oops* person who needs to clean such items, I'd agree with Wildchild. Baking Soda & water, brought to a low boil & simmered a few minutes usually does the trick.

HTH
Ciao Holly

Bookmark   December 7, 2004 at 9:23PM
blondelle

Try Dawn Power Dissolver. Will take that right off! People are raving about it for cleaning their cookware on other boards!

Bookmark   December 7, 2004 at 11:06PM
raybeck

You might try regular BarKeepers Friend. I use both and find the powder is much better for cleaning tough things.

Bookmark   January 30, 2005 at 12:22PM
oaa9898

"Try Dawn Power Dissolver. Will take that right off! People are raving about it for cleaning their cookware on other boards!"

I used the Power Dissolver on my Calphalon pan one time and it dulled the finish (I think I left it on too long). Be careful.

Bookmark   February 2, 2005 at 9:34PM
vlys

I used that Citrus orange cleaner.

Bookmark   February 4, 2005 at 6:47PM
grnidkjun

In regards to Bar Keepers Friend.. is one better than the other.. powder vs. liquid?

Bookmark   July 2, 2009 at 7:21PM
donna_loomis

Good old oven cleaner works great on burned on stuff on stainless steel. And on corningware and pyrex, too.

Bookmark   July 6, 2009 at 6:05PM
debs3

Try Easy Off Fume Free Oven Cleaner. Spray and let it sit over night. It has worked for me in the past.

Here is a link that might be useful: Easy Off Fume Free Oven Cleaner

Bookmark   July 8, 2009 at 3:57PM
debs3

I forgot to mention Kleen King. I have used Kleen King Stainless Steel and Copper Cleaner most of my life to clean/polish my Revere Ware pots and pans. It is a great cleaner, but sometimes the Easy Off Fume Free Oven Cleaner is required to do the job.

Here is a link that might be useful: Kleen King

Bookmark   July 8, 2009 at 4:09PM
ntt_hou

Well, I have the Calphalon 3-ply stainless steel and according to their recommendation, never use oven cleaner.

I use the regular powder Bar Keeper's for all my stainless steel and it works great. As for liquid vs. powder, I compare it to Comet, the powder cleans better than the liquid. However, you'd need to rinse the leftover powder residue more than the liquid.

Bookmark   July 21, 2009 at 9:55PM
gardenlover25

Hello,

Have you tried everything suggested in this thread.....If it does not work you can also try it by putting a water and heat it until it boils up. Remember not to let it dry, leave the hot water in your cookware and put some diswashing liquid. You'll notice that it will slowly remove the dirt from your cookware. I hope this helps you. Thanks.

Bookmark   August 4, 2009 at 2:46AM
joeekaitis

'nother vote for Bar Keeper's Friend. Even wipes out hard water spots and rainbow heat marks.

Bookmark   August 21, 2009 at 11:45AM
More Discussions
Pasta rolling pin aka mattarello
I'm planning on purchasing a mattarello or pasta rolling...
miscel
pie crust in a Breville all in one food processor
Can a pie crust be made in a Breville all in one food...
Sue Molitor
Best cookware for induction?
After LIVING on the kitchen site for the last few months,...
dccnm
cooks essentials talking microwave
I don't know if I should post this here or on the cooking...
vacuumfreak
tea kettles
Hi - does anyone know of a whistling tea kettle that...
chilloway
Sponsored Products
Worthy Sectional with Bumper - Key Largo Ruby Red
Joybird Furniture
Polished Marble 70/30 Offset Double-Bowl Farmhouse Sink
Signature Hardware
Isabet 'C' Throw Pillow
$27.99 | zulily
Progress Lighting Ashmore Collection 2-Light Antique Bronze Outdoor Flushmount P
Home Depot
Modern Classic Bed
Italy Design
Shark S3251 Lite and Easy Steam Mop - 622356530545
$59.99 | Hayneedle
Astoria Floor Lamp by Stonegate Designs
$790.00 | Lumens
Serena & Lily Jute Border Rug
Serena & Lily
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™