Vent hood height problem

Chrissycat28November 13, 2012

I am remodeling my kitchen. I purchased a Whirlpool Gold vent hood (30") to go above my new Electrolux 30" Induction range. Now that my contractor has finished the cabinet work, the vent hood is too long to fit in the space and still be 24" or more over the cook top. The space I have to put a hood in is 40" across (cabinet to cabinet) and 46" tall (soffit to cook top). I have my heart set on a chimney type vent hood with glass because I wanted to have it be a focal point with glass tile behind it. The hood would work if my contractor would agree to remove the soffit above the stove but he is ready to finish up and leave this job. (He's been here 3 months so we are ready for it to be done too!)

The hood would also work if I could have the chimney cover cut down about 6 or 7 inches at a metal shop but that would void the warranty. I cannot find any other chimney type hoods that are short enough. I'm at a loss and was hoping someone has some advice for me... :)

ETA: I have decided that a 36" hood would be better after reading online that it should be bigger than the cook top. Whirlpool makes the same model in a 36" so I could exchange the one I bought for a wider one. That still doesn't help with the height problem.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
GreenDesigns

The chimney cover isn't a working part that you need to worry about a warranty on. It's decorative only. Have the metal shop cut it down and don't give it a second thought. Be sure though that they will do it cleanly with a plasma cutter.

Bookmark   November 13, 2012 at 5:48PM
llaatt22

A distance of 30" from the range cooking surface to the vent hood intake
is usually the minimum mandated space given in almost all building codes.
Your contractor has not mentioned that fact to you?

Bookmark   November 13, 2012 at 7:11PM
Chrissycat28

After discussing it with my husband we have decided to take out the soffit above the stove, exchange the 30" in hood for the 36" one, and mount it at 30" above cook top and have the chimney extend to ceiling as I had originally intended. Thanks for your help guys!

Bookmark   November 14, 2012 at 11:57AM
More Discussions
1200cfm oversized hood...Overkill for 30" BlueStar range?
I am getting a 30" BlueStar RNB range for my kitchen...
ILoveCookie
Fhiaba column refrigerator freezer anyone?
Has anyone seen these in person or have in their kitchen?...
Dietitian
Try_Hard's appliances, one year later...
I built a new house and moved in during April 2008....
try_hard
Can't adjust door spring on Miele Futura Dimension DW (G 5675
We just installed my new Miele dishwasher and the door...
jan_in_davis
Bluestar platinum vs Capital Culinarian
We are deciding on kitchen appliances for our upgrade...
malba2366
Sponsored Products
American Heritage Sonoma Collection Bar Height Barstool in Riverbank
Beyond Stores
Mansard Black 17-Inch One-Light Outdoor Wall with Clear Beveled Acrylic Panels
$36.90 | Bellacor
Additional Shelf for Oversized Metallic Shelving
$79.50 | FRONTGATE
Flash Furniture High Back Ergonomic Computer Chair with Height Adjustable Arms -
$159.99 | Hayneedle
Zuo Fortress Collection Black Leather Love Seat
Euro Style Lighting
ET2 Orb 4 1/2" Wide Clear Bubble Glass Pendant Light
Euro Style Lighting
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™