Electric skillet

canvirDecember 5, 2005

I have been toying with the idea of getting my daughter a 12 inch electric skillet. (She's expecting her fourth boy)

Not sure if the younger generation still finds these convenient.

Your input, please.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
triciae

I'm not of the "younger" generation but find electric skillets are just another appliance to find storage space for and don't really do anything I can't do stovetop. But, with four boys to feed...an extra burner might be very practical.

Cuisinart has a new one that looks pretty nice.

Here is a link that might be useful: Cuisinart Electric Oval Skillet

Bookmark   December 5, 2005 at 2:08PM
marie26

My electric skillet broke and I just replaced it with a Rival electric griddle that has 2 sides with separate temperature controls. I haven't had a chance to try it yet.

I used the electric skillet mainly for eggs, french toast and pancakes so I decided that the griddle would suit my needs better.

What would she be cooking in the skillet? If it's used mainly for breakfast, I'd consider a griddle instead.

I have the room so I keep my skillet/griddle on the countertop all the time. It is used at least once every day or every other day.

Bookmark   December 5, 2005 at 5:43PM
canvir

Thanks for the help.

Decided I wouldn't get her one, she does have an electric griddle.

Bookmark   December 6, 2005 at 9:21AM
awm03

I bought an electric skillet to get us through our kitchen remodel two years ago and was surprised how convenient they are. The big size suits cooking for my three college-aged boys very well. Seems like it has more surface area than my old griddle, and the lid contains spatters. I opted for a 30" cooktop, knowing I could use the electric skillet as an "extra burner." It's nice to have for somebody to grill a sandwich or fry a burger on it if I'm working at the cooktop. Wish I'd gotten one years ago.

Bookmark   December 7, 2005 at 10:13PM
marie26

I recommended a griddle in my previous post. Now that I'm on my second one (I returned the first one), I will probably go back to an electric skillet. I don't like the slant on the skillets that allow the fat to go into the container on the bottom. I tried cooking scrambled eggs and the batter just went into the container. So, I think I will return the second one as well and buy an electric skillet.

Is there an electric skillet that lies flat like an electric griddle?

Bookmark   December 8, 2005 at 3:43PM
sheilajoyce_gw

I like my electric skillet for making stew and pancakes especially. My guess is that with the thermostat, she would find it a helpful tool.

Bookmark   December 9, 2005 at 5:02PM
louisa

I love my electric skillet and use it all the time because it has so much surface area. I probably cook 50% of our dinners on it.

Bookmark   January 31, 2006 at 2:31AM
gibby2015

I returned some wedding gifts when we got married 27 years ago and bought an electric skillet. Just thought I had to have one because my mom had one and used it all the time. I still have it but I'm sure I haven't used it in probably twenty years. I didn't even use it when our kitchen was out of commission for remodeling. I also have an electric griddle and I've used that alot - pancakes, french toast, and such.

Bookmark   February 6, 2006 at 11:14PM
asolo

Electric skillets can be very handy. Unfortunately, most now come with solid-state controllers that cycle the element on/off rather than a reostat that simply controls the amount of current delivered to the element. The on/off cycling complicates many uses. Even heat is what's needed.

If you find one with a more even reostat-like controller, please tell me!

Bookmark   February 7, 2006 at 5:03PM
More Discussions
stainless flatware
does anyone have reed and barton allora flatware? i...
JoPierson
Kitchenaid Stand Mixer Food Grinder
My hubs gave me the meat/food grinder attachment for...
mimijacobs
Mauviel m'150s and m'250c
I'm looking at some pans in these two lines -- I understand...
Gooster
Copper Cookware Sources?
We bought a Mauviel 4 quart copper soup/stew pot on...
velodoug
silicone baking mat aftertaste
i got silicone baking mats on overstock.com a couple...
ardcp
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™