cook eggs on cast iron

momof3mhdDecember 2, 2008

I love to use cast iron to cook. However, most of time when I cook eggs on cast iron pan, I will have some small black spots stick to the bottom of the eggs. I don't know what's wrong.

Is it SAFE to eat the eggs with the black spots? Do I have a bad cast iron pan?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Fori is not pleased

It's probably safe...even if it's iron, most of us can use a little extra in our diets. But, what IS it?

I sometimes get black flakes if my pan isn't clean before I grease it and heat it before I put it away. I'm just careless, but I've noticed some people think they will ruin the seasoning of their pans if they wash them. If you happen to be one of those, wash it! With soap! And a nylon scouring pad if you have to! (I had to say it, just in case. No offense!)

Now, assuming it's clean, how is it seasoned? Could the seasoning be flaking off? Any chance there's rust under it? (This is a plain cast iron pan, right?)

Bookmark   December 2, 2008 at 6:01PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
brownthumbia

I have cast iron pans and wouldn't think of putting them away without washing them11....I scour them with SOS pads when they need it also. Doesn't hurt them at all if they have been seasoned right. But I would not use cleansing powder on them such as Comet, etc. I too get black flecks sometimes when I fry eggs and I think it's iron which I'm sure doesn't hurt at all. If you think about it, there are probably flecks on meat when you fry that too but it's not noticeable. BT

Bookmark   December 8, 2008 at 4:36PM
More Discussions
Pasta rolling pin aka mattarello
I'm planning on purchasing a mattarello or pasta rolling...
miscel
best (semi-pro) brand pots and pans for induction
hello we are renovating our kitchen and now it will...
robantwerp
Help with a Farberware MicroBrew
I need some help figuring out how to use a Farberware...
ritaotay
Fermented cabbage
Many people really enjoy as me the taste of fermented...
GeorgeLiv
Recommendation for pans for high heat cooking
I like "high heat" cooking, not the kind...
azmom
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™