Where to start?

vannieDecember 14, 2011

I got such good advice on my last question, I now have another. I have an elderly friend who has no computer skills. What is the best way for him to learn? I mean, he needs to start at the beginning--this is a mouse, this is a monitor, etc. He has typing skills he has used for years, so there will be no hunting and pecking. "Computers for Dummies"? any web site? What's your advice here. I don't have enough skills to be much help to him.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
abreeze

I did a quick Google search for free online tutorials to learn computer basics. I skimmed through a few and thought this one taught using the mouse very well:

http://tech.tln.lib.mi.us/tutor/

The lessons at the next link are geared to the computer's operating system: XP or Windows 7 (and Vista). Check them out for yourself. Hope they help.

Here is a link that might be useful: Computer Tutorials for Beginners

Bookmark   December 14, 2011 at 10:11AM
mxyplx

First I googled: how old is elderly
Lotta hits - most of em tickt me off-if you are over 50 you'll understand.....

2nd I googled: how to teach an elderly person to use a computer
Lotta hits - some recommended programs/methods

Abreeze: looks like we were in synch.

Bookmark   December 14, 2011 at 10:14AM
owbist

To get comfortable with the mouse have him play a few games. Make sure the Games folder is loaded with his Windows, click Start, click All programs, click Games.

Then have him play solitaire and perhaps minesweeper BUT have him read the rules so he can get to understand single click, double click and right click.

After that teach him how to Google for anything he wants to know, easier than trying to find it in an out of date book in my estimation.

Bookmark   December 14, 2011 at 11:57AM
morz8

Another thought - my mother, 84 1/2, has been using a computer about 10 years now, although somewhat limited use -

In her city, there are basic classes at the Senior Center, occasionally through her YMCA, and also adult continuing education classes at her community college where fees to seniors are minimal expense.

Bookmark   December 14, 2011 at 12:32PM
DA_Mccoy

Along the lines of M8 and senior centers: libraries, fraternal organizations, religious centers, school district adult continuing education,store public bulletin boards, etc.

If a member of AARP you could contact them for guidance and/or referral.

DA

Bookmark   December 14, 2011 at 4:42PM
jane__ny

Absolutely agree. The lessons given by senior centers and libraries are the best way to start. I have found people learn better when they have someone supervise to avoid frustration and fear. Many older people are terribly afraid they will 'break' the computer or cause some sort of damage to it.

Jane

Bookmark   December 14, 2011 at 9:44PM
nearandwest

The local library is a good starting point...in my town they offer beginning computer classes for Seniors. The local community college is another good place for a Senior to learn computer skills.

Bookmark   December 15, 2011 at 12:43PM
ravencajun Zone 8b TX

there are also online sources for tutorials and forums just for that but then he would have to at least be able to navigate the pc enough to get to those sites.

Classes are a very good choice, I do some little classes for some of the elderly here, I was asked to help some of the churches for their senior groups. The main issue with that is you would not be using your own pc and of course every pc is a bit different.

Bookmark   December 15, 2011 at 3:54PM
More Discussions
OK, turned my back, and the kids are playing with
backgrounds, and making the viewing easier on the eyes....
shaddy101
Internet Explorer keeps shutting down
I have just ignored this problem for the past 3 months...
Lea Grabb
Adobe flash player and pdf reader installation on Win8
I have a new Win 8 touch screen laptop. I've been using...
hald
Hmmmm...can't "scroll" thru sites anymore on laptop?!?!!?
WTH?!?! My Del Inspiron laptop has decided that it...
Faron79
Change color of blinking cursor
When I am editing something I have just written and...
mudlady_gw
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™