Pepper/Spice Mill

mrjonesDecember 16, 2010

Cooked a dish last night that needed 1.5 tablespoons of fresh fine ground pepper. My manual pepper mill took forever! Is the mill faulty, or is there something designed to grind that amount in a reasonable amount of time? Any suggestions? Thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
arley_gw

The Unicorn mill by Tom David can grind prodigious amounts of pepper in a short time. Cooks Illustrated reviewed grinders and picked this one as the best. It's available in a couple of sizes and prices from Amazon and other vendors.

If you have a cheap coffee grinder (the kind with a clear plastic lid over a container that has a whirling blade, NOT one of those expensive burr grinders) you can grind a load of pepper in just a few seconds. If you do use it for that, you can get most of the residue out by putting a couple of crackers in the grinder and grinding them, then wiping out the container with a paper towel. That'll absorb a lot of the pepper residue so your next pot of coffee doesn't taste like pepper.

Here is a link that might be useful: unicorn

Bookmark   December 16, 2010 at 11:43AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
sushipup1

If you have an old grinder, it's probably time for a new one. But honestly, I think that fresh-ground pepper is fine on a finished dish or in small quantities, but for a large amount, just buy a fresh can of ground pepper. I doubt anyone will know the difference if you don't say anything.

Bookmark   December 16, 2010 at 2:22PM
More Discussions
tea kettles
Hi - does anyone know of a whistling tea kettle that...
chilloway
Help with a Farberware MicroBrew
I need some help figuring out how to use a Farberware...
ritaotay
Kitchen Selective food slicer
Would anyone know of source for parts for Kitchen Selective...
debby_1
stainless flatware
does anyone have reed and barton allora flatware? i...
JoPierson
Is there lead in this antique brass pitcher?
Hello, I have a fondness for antique metal cookware...
bradleyd_svh
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™