Induction Cookware Advice

flsandytoesDecember 4, 2013

I need advice about induction cookers and aluminum.

We all know that aluminum conducts heat brilliantly. It is also known that induction cookers are capable of very low simmers, much more so than other hobs.

Generally, it is agreed that the thicker the aluminum, the better. Thicker means a sauce won't scorch, etc... But now I wonder; does it really matter on induction, given it's ability to 'go low'?

I recently scored 2 Mauviel M'Stone pieces, a stewpot and a saut� pan. Everything about them is impressive, but they're only what I consider average thickness, about 3mm. This is pretty close to the Circulon I've seen at Costco. By comparison, Kitchenaid Professional is 5.5mm thick.

So, for induction, is this of minor importance? I can't try the Mauviel for 2 reasons; 1) to return them, they've got to be unused and 2) I haven't got my induction range yet. The pans were a Black Friday deal ($110 combined) that was too good to pass up, because the current price at Cutlery and More for the same pans (the saut� is on sale) is $385. Mine don't have lids, oddly, but that's cheaply remedied.

So is this a thing, or not? Also, if you've cooked with the Kitchenaid anodized or Mauviel, how does it perform relative to other pans?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
leel

Aluminum is not usable on induction; only ferrous metals can--steel or cast iron. If a magnet sticks to the pot, you can use it.

Bookmark   December 5, 2013 at 2:17AM
flsandytoes

I'm sorry I didn't make it clear in my post; these pans have a thin steel disk embedded in the base. And yes, magnets stick.

My question was specifically about the thickness of the aluminum and how that might factor in with induction. Thickness matters on gas and radiant electric. I don't know how much it matters on induction.

Bookmark   December 18, 2013 at 10:13PM
llaatt22

A lot depends on what you plan to use them for. More aluminum mass creates nice even heat but also a small heat control lag. Probably not a problem so a very good choice for ordinary cooking. Should be fine.

Bookmark   December 19, 2013 at 12:00PM
suzannecarleton

Does anyone know of a good frittata pan for induction stoves?
Preferably one for an 8" pan.

Bookmark   January 9, 2014 at 2:27PM
flsandytoes

Magafesa makes one. I've no idea what the quality is:

http://www.amazon.com/Magefesa-Nonstick-Frittata-Skillet-Pan/dp/B005TK6I3O/ref=sr_1_8_m?s=home-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1389364824&sr=1-8&keywords=magefesa

But... if you use Marcella Hazan's stovetop/broiler method, all you need is a nonstick skillet. A lid helps. There's no flipping involved and you avoid buying a pan that's only good for one thing. For that, my recommendation would be either a Henckels Spirit frypan or a Lodge cast iron or carbon steel pan.

My personal choice would be the carbon steel, because it's less fragile than nonstick and cast iron, but almost as nonstick as teflon. It also has a flared sidewall which makes it easier to slide food onto a plate. It does require seasoning (Lodge comes pre seasoned) but this can be done on your stovetop. Mine were seasoned on a radiant range, induction will work just as well.

http://www.amazon.com/Spirit-Thermolon-Non-Stick-Skillet-Size/dp/B0056FTP2I/ref=sr_1_3_m?s=home-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1389361874&sr=1-3&keywords=spirit+cookware

http://www.lodgemfg.com/seasoned-cast-iron/skillet-L5SK3

http://www.lodgemfg.com/seasoned-carbon-steel/seasoned-steel-skillet-CRS8

I'd also note that my personal preference in carbon steel pans is deBuyer, from France.

http://www.amazon.com/Buyer-Mineral-Pan-Fry/dp/B002LCTNW6/ref=sr_1_6?s=kitchen&ie=UTF8&qid=1389362707&sr=1-6&keywords=debuyer+pan

BTW - I love Vollrath Optio lids. They're inexpensive but quite well made, feeling like a heavy quality item.

Bookmark   January 10, 2014 at 9:43AM
More Discussions
cooks essentials talking microwave
I don't know if I should post this here or on the cooking...
vacuumfreak
Club cast aluminum still made?
I am new to the list, so forgive me if this subject...
joan41
Best Non-Stick Cookware?
Saw a segment on this morning's news that says not...
jrb451
Is there lead in this antique brass pitcher?
Hello, I have a fondness for antique metal cookware...
bradleyd_svh
pie crust in a Breville all in one food processor
Can a pie crust be made in a Breville all in one food...
Sue Molitor
Sponsored Products
Sutter Place Select Olde Bronze 52-Inch Three Light Ceiling Fan
$169.66 | Bellacor
Klipsch Stadium Home Music System
FRONTGATE
Cuisinart 55-11R Red Advantage Nonstick 11-piece Cookware Set
Overstock.com
8-Qt. Covered Stock Pot
$29.99 | zulily
Renew Premier Brushed Stainless Steel Four Light Ceiling Fan
$148.00 | Bellacor