Ivory buff mortar with redish brick

lexmomof3October 16, 2012

If you have any variation of red brick with ivory buff or similar light colored mortar, will you please post a picture? I really think this is the look I'm going for but would like to see some pictures. Also, I know that the ivory colors cost more than the buff or grey but any idea about how much more?

Thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
threeapples

lexmom, seems like you and i are on the same wavelength with our houses. did you ever have good luck with the door company i sent you info. about?

as for the ivory mortar and red brick, i agonized over this for over a year! i finally arrived at exactly the mortar i was looking for by having my mason source river sand and mix it with regular portland cement. we tested buff dyed mortars and all of them were too brown or too "name various shades here," and i was not happy. i really wanted an historic look and, with this mortar, achieved it with my brick and mortar combo. i went with old virginia "colonial full range" brick, which is gorgeous, but very soft and very hard to lay straight because it's irregular. anyway, i'm happy to help however i can, but here's a photo of our brick and mortar....

Bookmark   October 16, 2012 at 9:19PM
athensmomof3

I was going to suggest looking at threeapples house - I think she used ivory buff mortar? The river sand is suggested by a prominent Atlanta architect with the ivory buff mortar to give it a more historic look.

As far as cost, it is more expensive. No idea how much. Mortar is not a huge cost though so I doubt it would break the bank. If that is the look you want, go for it:) It is one of those things that will be there forever and will never change . . .

Bookmark   October 16, 2012 at 9:22PM
lexmomof3

athensmomof3, that's gorgeous brick and mortar! Exactly the look I'm going for. Yes, we seem to like the same sort of look. As for the door, I've set that aside for now since we're still so early in the process and I've got so many decisions to make. I did find a local custom door company that builds a door very similar to yours (although I like yours better). The cost was $9k though. I know it's an expensive door but I'm looking for something a little more budget friendly than that. LOL.

Bookmark   October 16, 2012 at 9:41PM
lexmomof3

Oops, meant to address that post to threeapples.
Thanks athensmomof3.

Bookmark   October 16, 2012 at 9:44PM
lexmomof3

mythreeapples - just looked for threads with pictures of your house. I saw the rendering and I must say, "wow, that is one gorgeous house!" I can't wait to see pictures when it's finished. I'm going for a historical feel as well but the house is a 1.5 story with three dormers above the front porch. It will be about 4,400 sq feet but doesn't look anywhere near that big because of the style. It will look similar to mydreamhomes house, I believe.

Bookmark   October 16, 2012 at 10:11PM
threeapples

so glad you like the brick and mortar, lexmomof3. i'll ask my builder how much more the different mortar costs and let you know. i'm very happy with the mortar and it was worth the hassle of doing so many mock walls to get it right.
we really wanted dormers. i'll look forward to seeing your house go up because i like the look of mydreamhouse's house and with your interest in going historic, i think it will look tremendous.
one thing you might be able to do is have the transom and side lites custom and get a door that is a more typical size to cut cost down.
i'm excited to hear of your new ideas :)

Bookmark   October 16, 2012 at 10:32PM
renovator8

The trick I used on many brick buildings for universities is to add some red to the mortar to reduce the width and unevenness of the modern mortar joints and let the color of the brick dominate. The brickwork still looked pretty bad next to brickwork from 300 years ago.

Bookmark   October 17, 2012 at 12:42PM
lexmomof3

Thanks for the tip Renovator8!

Bookmark   October 17, 2012 at 1:52PM
More Discussions
Floorplan review
Hi everyone. My husband and I are working on building...
sarahbr2
homeowner's association
totally OT, but... would you, did you, or will you be...
energy_rater_la
Window/door trim thickness---not width
Time to specify our interior trimwork. I'm stymied...
pinktoes
What is your favorite feature about your house?
Do you have one or several favorite features or a...
Darla Grossman
Master bath/closet suggestions
My wife and I are planning on building a house. We...
stancial
Sponsored Products
Queen 600TC Eight-Piece Sheet Set - IVORY
$468.00 | Horchow
Safavieh Lyndhurst Collection Red/ Ivory Runner (2'3 x 22')
Overstock.com
Bristol Queen Set - IVORY
$5,299.00 | Horchow
Ivory Embossed Checkerboard Cabana Sheet Set
$17.99 | zulily
Lenox Holiday Square Creamer - 6338511
$99.95 | Hayneedle
Safavieh Handmade Mahal Ancestry Red/ Ivory Wool Rug (9'6 x 13'6)
Overstock.com
Oushak Style Hand Knotted Paradise Bird Ivory Chobi 6'x8' Wool & Wool Rug H6904
BH Sun Inc
Ivory Jacquard Shade Antique Brass Plug-In Swing Arm Wall Light
Lamps Plus
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™