Make Your Non-Stick Cookware Last......

miramacDecember 5, 2012

I found this forum looking for info on Cook's Essentials non-stick cookware and see a lot of complaints about pans non-stick surfaces wearing out after so many washes.

If cared for properly, (emphasis on the word "properly") your cookware will last many years. Some of us just don't know that we need to treat them a little differently than standard cookware.

Here are some important guidelines:

Caring for Nonstick Cookware:
Cool down. After using your nonstick cookware, especially anodized nonstick cookware, allow it to cool completely before washing it. This will prevent you from ruining the coating and warping nonstick skillets and pans.

Use some elbow grease. Once they are cool, submerge your nonstick pots and pans in hot, soapy water and use a sponge and dish soap to clean them.

Scrub baked-on food carefully. If stubborn particles won't come off, switch the sponge for a plastic mesh scrubber and try scrubbing nonstick pans with baking soda. Make sure you get your nonstick cookware completely clean. Anything left on could get baked into the nonstick pot during the next use, causing food to stick in the future and ruining your cookware.

Rinse your pans clean. Use a hand towel to ensure that each piece in your nonstick cookware set is completely dry so it won't dry with water spots or stick to other dishes in your cupboard.

Be cautious when storing your cookware. Store your nonstick skillets and other pots and pans with similar items and make sure they aren't leaning on each other. Even the best nonstick cookware can be scratched and have its nonstick finish damaged. You may want to purchase a hanging pot rack for safely storing your best nonstick cookware.

Warnings:
Never use metal utensils to cook food in nonstick pots and pans. Use only wood, plastic or silicone cooking utensils, as metal tools can scratch the surface of your nonstick pots.

Do not use abrasive scrubbers or cleaners on your anodized nonstick cookware.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
klseiverd

A while back, burned a non-stick pan totally dry on stove top. Had something on VERY low and just totally forgot about it. Figured it was toast. Plastic/wooden tools wouldn't budge the burned on stuff and knew I couldn't just go crazy on it. I rinsed out what would come off with hot water and let it soak... still had significant amount of stuff stuck on bottom. Went to a few cooking sites begging for help from kind strangers. Someone suggested this... and it worked great. I filled the skillet as full as possible (all the way to the rim) and slowly brought up to a simmer... slow mainly so it wouldn't just boil over everywhere. Then added several BIG spoonfuls of bakiing soda... kinda sprinkle cuz it will definitely bubble up. Turned flame off and just let pan sit till water wasn't boiling hot anymore. All that burned on stuff came off with a gently push with a silicon spatula.

Bookmark   December 7, 2012 at 3:54PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Nunyabiz1

You can try whatever you wish but 99% of the time ANY non stick cookware regardless of type is DEAD well within 5-7 years if used most everyday.
Technically there is just zero need for nonstick cookware as there are other types that are every bit as nonstick, get BETTER with age, and last several lifetimes and usually cost less to boot.

Bookmark   December 10, 2012 at 12:35PM
More Discussions
New Viking Cookware
Has anyone tried the new Viking Cookware now being...
katespak
pie crust in a Breville all in one food processor
Can a pie crust be made in a Breville all in one food...
Sue Molitor
Kitchenaid Stand Mixer
I have read threads in here from people who love their...
catt11
cooks essentials talking microwave
I don't know if I should post this here or on the cooking...
vacuumfreak
silicone baking mat aftertaste
i got silicone baking mats on overstock.com a couple...
ardcp
Sponsored Products
Practika Plus Stainless Steel 8-Qt. Pressure Cooker
$77.99 | zulily
Cuisipro 11.5'' Splatter Screen
$13.99 | zulily
Rachael Ray Hard-anodized II Nonstick Orange 12-piece Set ** With $20 Mail-In Re
Overstock.com
Cuisinart Chef's Classic Stainless 11-piece Cookware Set **Gift with Purchase**
Overstock.com
Professional Copper 10-Piece Cookware Set
$239.99 | zulily
Le Chef Stainless Steel Silicone Tip 6-piece Utensil Set
Overstock.com
Red 11'' Enameled Steel Fry Pan
$17.99 | zulily
LG 2-cubic-foot Stainless Steel True Cook Plus Countertop Microwave Oven
Overstock.com
People viewed this after searching for: