can you help me i.d. this, please?

earthlydelightsNovember 10, 2006

Hi, i know the red handled one is a ricer. it has the holes. the all silver one baffles me. like a ricer, but no holes on the cup part. there is however a mesh strainer that sits inside a cup like colander.

any ideas? i would love to put it to the use it was intended.

it's old, that much i know.

thanks for your help.


Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

They are both ricers....the 2 inserts in the show how you might do the potatoes....fine of coarse....

    Bookmark   November 10, 2006 at 10:08PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

I don't think the second one is a ricer--if you look closely at the handled container, it has a pour spout for liquid. And the container is quite small--you'd have to empty many times to rice enough potatoes for a family dinner.

My guess is the second one is some sort of juicer--probably for citrus fruit. But it's just a guess.

    Bookmark   November 11, 2006 at 9:19AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

thank you both.

i do agree, the second one, the one i am trying to ID, is NOT a ricer by any means.

i'll continue on my quest to find out what this is. maybe eventually i find out.

thanks again,

    Bookmark   November 12, 2006 at 7:57PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

I was wondering if it's an old style spaetzle maker- those are german noodle/dumpling boiled in water. But then again maybe not.

Here is a link that might be useful: spaetzle maker

    Bookmark   November 13, 2006 at 6:29PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

I would guess not, Movingwest, for the same reason I don't think it's a ricer. The "container" part has no holes, so obviously serves as a collector of whatever is being passed through the screens. There's not much room left once the screens are in place, which leads me more in the direction Azzalea has taken. Something liquidy.

Both ricers and spaetzle makers have holes to the outside, so that the plunger forces the potatoes/batter through them.

My guess is that it's a tool for juicing things like lemons and limes. The plunger forces the juice through the large screen, and the mesh one is used to strain out pits and pulp.

    Bookmark   November 14, 2006 at 7:05AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

At a guess, it could be a bartenders juicer. Either of the strainers would fit on the drink glass not in the cylinder while the crushing goes on. If they are used in the cylinder the fine mesh screen would do the straining by being placed above the coarse one which would support it. That would suggest something hard like pineapple being squeezed. The handles are very strong and capable of a lot of pressure.But it seems likely the two strainers would mostly be used on the drink glass.

    Bookmark   November 21, 2006 at 12:36AM
Sign Up to comment
More Discussions
Is there lead in this antique brass pitcher?
Hello, I have a fondness for antique metal cookware...
Favorite tea kettle for induction?
Waiting patiently for my induction cooktop to be installed....
Help with Induction Cookware
I just bought a Samsung Induction cooktop, and I need...
Recommendation for pans for high heat cooking
I like "high heat" cooking, not the kind...
Best Non-Stick Cookware?
Saw a segment on this morning's news that says not...
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™