Peeling paint in Microwave...Is it still safe?

joyce58November 10, 2006

Hi...The paint ( enamel) at the inside botton seam (corners) is either wearing away or peeling.

Is the microwave still safe to use? I have continued to use it but am a bit concerned.

Thanks,

Joyce

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
lindac

Can't see how paint would affect the safety...it's the seal that keeps those waves from running around your kitchen.
But...if it's old enough to have peeling paint, maybe the seal is bad too.
Linda C

Bookmark   November 10, 2006 at 6:16PM
catherinet

Our microwave is about 22 years old, and I really think it needs replaced. But what I wanted to say was that people should realize that when they use their microwaves, they shouldn't stand anywhere near it. Perhaps they are better made these days. About 12 years ago, our REMC wanted to use someone's house to study EMF (electro-magnetic fields) given off by various things in the house.
Our microwave was on a kitchen wall that bordered my son's room. In fact, he slept with his head just on the other side of the wall. Well guess what? The radiation readings were very high right over his pillow, when the microwave was on! Needless to say, we moved the microwave.
I am absolutely no expert, but my guess would be that the paint peeling makes it no less safe than it is now (which might not be very safe, if you're standing close to it).
You can always buy a gossmeter, or have someone from your power company come out with one and test the levels of EMF around your microwave.

Bookmark   November 11, 2006 at 7:35AM
azzalea

The thing is, you can buy a microwave oven very inexpensively these days. Whether it's an esthetic or safety problem, why not just pick up a new one. Since they're no longer the 'state of the art' appliance they once were (the new speed-cooking, combo ovens are more upscale and pricey)--you can get a straight microwave starting at around $40 these days. I've seen small ones for even less. I don't like to take any chances when it comes to microwaving, myself. Just to be on the safe side, as soon as I noticed something like that, I'd go with a new one.

Bookmark   November 11, 2006 at 9:24AM
koala_em

We had the same problem (twice actually!), eventually it rusted under the paint. We bought a new one- and they are quite inexpensive these days.

The tip a sales person gave me was: wipe it out each and every time you use it and while you clean up the rest of the kitchen leave the door ajar so it can really dry out after use.

Fingers crossed that will work. Upon reflection I think that the location of the microwave was not allowing proper ventilation as it was flush into a corner with little space around the left side or back for the grill vent. This might be worth a thought if you are looking to replace- incase it happens to your new one!

Em

Bookmark   December 3, 2006 at 3:44AM
jdbillp

What keeps the microwaves inside the oven isn't a seal. It is the mesh screen in the door window.

Bookmark   December 3, 2006 at 7:04AM
liverpool_lilly_yahoo_com

is there a safe paint one can use? inside the microwave the corner's ect

Bookmark   April 5, 2011 at 9:27AM
amventim_optonline_net

We have a GE Microwave,the back of the door,on the inside is starting to peel ,can this be repainted ,and what type of paint.

Bookmark   July 3, 2011 at 2:28PM
baccalie_yahoo_com

my microwave is only 2years old it is a Korean made daewoo and I can't get a response from the company and since it is only 2years old I think it is defective ? my old microwave was a Sears (US MADE) and lasted 15 years , no prblem ?

Bookmark   August 31, 2011 at 4:25PM
More Discussions
New Viking Cookware
Has anyone tried the new Viking Cookware now being...
katespak
induction stove power boost function
Have a set of Zwilling cookware and their brochure...
metaphilos
Wagners 1891 Dutch Oven
I have a couple of questions about a 5 qt Wagners 1891...
jpc57
Nu Wave Oven
Has anyone bought this? Is it worth the cost? It is...
marie26
stainless flatware
does anyone have reed and barton allora flatware? i...
JoPierson
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™