What to do when oven cut out is too big?

cheri127November 2, 2013

I would like to replace a 27" built in KitchenAid microwave with a 24" Miele combi steam oven. The oven gets screwed into the cabinet frames at the sides, not the top and bottom. I'm hoping that it's possible to add strips of wood to face frame and screw the oven into that (I can conceal it with the 27" trim kit). Has anyone done successfully done this? Thanks.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
noopd

I don't think you need to add any strips of wood if you are using a trim kit. but you can double check on that.

if you are not using a trim kit, you can add two blocks of wood on the side to "narrow" the opening to the appropriate size.

Bookmark   November 2, 2013 at 4:40PM
cheri127

Thanks, Noopd. I was under the impression that the trim kit just covered up what ever makeshift method was used to make the space smaller. I will look into this. Would really make my life easier if it does it all.

Bookmark   November 3, 2013 at 6:41PM
ILoveRed

I had to install a 24" Gaggenau combi steam oven in a 27" cutout after the 27" was discontinued. It was replaced under warranty.

The installer used strips of wood behind the oven at the sides to mount the oven. I was left with gaps on each side of the oven.

Gagg did not make a trim kit, so I had a custom trim kit made by a company called Microtrim.

Bookmark   November 5, 2013 at 6:06PM
More Discussions
True Refrigerator (residential)
I came across this beautiful photo of a True refrigerator...
ltislander
New Bertazzoni Induction Range?
I just saw a press release from Bertazzoni about a...
ltislander
24" refrigerator. Liebherr, Fagor, LG, etc?
We live in Boston. We are in the market for 24"....
ttkogi
Daily Luxury Convenience (Combi Steam) vs. Tried & True Dbl Oven
I asked questions about the steam oven last month....
lawjedi
Capital Range Customer Service
Mostly people write on the internet forums, such as...
willinak
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™