Slow cooker concerns............

joyce58November 27, 2005

Hi..I just got a slow cooker, having been inspired by reading Zonya Foco's "Lickety Split Meals" cookbook.

She adds frozen food items directly to the pot BUT in the directions that came with the slow cooker, it says "DO NOT put frozen articles inside the porcelain pot, nor when appliance is too hot".....Any comments?

Thanks,

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
awm03

I've put frozen ground beef or frozen foods like manicotti in a room-temperature slow cooker. They cooked just fine. I don't take chances with ground beef any more (at the time I was fresh out of college, but not too smart in the kitchen), but frozen manicotti & sauce in the slow cooker is a good thing if you have to spend an afternoon at kid's ball games & you want dinner ready when you come home.

Bookmark   November 27, 2005 at 8:02PM
Ratherbgardening

Hmm...I've put in frozen food for years, always before it's turned on. Chicken is what I do in it the most.
What's the problem with ground beef? Does it allow the bacteria to breed in the lower cooking temp.?

Bookmark   November 28, 2005 at 1:05PM
awm03

I think with all the e. coli & ground beef concerns these days, slow cooker mfrs., food scientists, & the beef industry prefer to err on the side of caution and advise people to "properly thaw" the ground beef first. Ditto the poultry with regard to salmonella.

Bookmark   November 28, 2005 at 6:11PM
glassquilt

I think today's bugs are stronger than Grandma's.

Bookmark   November 29, 2005 at 10:21AM
awm03

I was listening to a report on NPR several years ago about an e. coli outbreak at the time. The report said that today's e. coli is about as genetically similar to earlier e. coli as a human being is to a flea. Much more potent.

Bookmark   December 6, 2005 at 5:04PM
More Discussions
induction stove power boost function
Have a set of Zwilling cookware and their brochure...
metaphilos
Help with a Farberware MicroBrew
I need some help figuring out how to use a Farberware...
ritaotay
Nu Wave Oven
Has anyone bought this? Is it worth the cost? It is...
marie26
White film/Oxidation on Wusthof Handles
I recently bought a set of Wusthof Classic Ikon knives...
rmverb
tea kettles
Hi - does anyone know of a whistling tea kettle that...
chilloway
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™