Le creuset french oven- a second

cooperbaileyNovember 7, 2008

I picked up a 5 1/2 qt cast iron french oven at Home Goods.( for $130) Ok I grabbed it so quick my hands were a blur. It is marked as a second. I looked it over very carefully and the enamel inside looks and feels good.The enamel outside looks fine outside too.There are a couple of dull rough spots on the lid. The knob is not le creuset-someone put a chantel knob on it- probably in the store. I know I can buy a new knob for about $10 .

My question is this- the rim of the pot is not glazed but cast iron as is the part on the lid that meets the rim. I am thinking that this is supposed to be this way but I am not familiar enough with the pot to know.What do you all think? still a good pot? Is this a keeper? TIA

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
joe_blowe

You're correct, that is the way it's supposed to be.

Bookmark   November 7, 2008 at 3:17PM
cooperbailey

Thanks, you saved me a long trip to look at one in a store.

Bookmark   November 7, 2008 at 3:37PM
dees_1

I also picked up a "second" from HG. Mine is a 6-3/4 qt oval in red and it was a STEAL at $69.99. Silly me had to CONVINCE myself to buy it.

The only flaw I've found is how the paint fades up from darker to ligher color. It's not as smoothly integrated as other pieces. Sometimes the thing that makes it a "second" is not such a big deal.

Bookmark   November 10, 2008 at 11:22AM
noodlesportland

cooperbailey--enjoy that pot! I just used mine for the first time yeserday. It is amazing. I have the 5 qt. and would like to find the 3.5 at HomeGoods--you have given me hope that it will show up there. I bought mine with a multiple coupon deal at a dept. store and paid $117 so am quite happy and am sure you will be too. It cooks very hot--and stays hot. Made black bean soup. H was pleased at how easy it was to clean.

Bookmark   November 10, 2008 at 3:13PM
cooperbailey

Noodles- used my LC tonight and made zucchini soup. It was tasty. It was so much more pleasant to use than my 30 yr old warped revereware stock pot.

Bookmark   November 10, 2008 at 8:00PM
noodlesportland

cooperbailey-too funny! that is the same warped reverware and even was 30--actually 38 years old!! I think the joy of cooking with LC and All-Clad is amazing. I just brought home a stainless All Clad wok from HG's. I have a built in 2500 btu wok in my stove (I'm a veggie).

Bookmark   November 10, 2008 at 9:09PM
mrsmarv

"The only flaw I've found is how the paint fades up from darker to ligher color."

Sometimes it's called a 'gradient' finish and done on purpose (see link below) ;o) Either way, it sounds like a great deal!

Here is a link that might be useful: Gradient finish

Bookmark   November 14, 2008 at 2:21PM
More Discussions
New Viking Cookware
Has anyone tried the new Viking Cookware now being...
katespak
Mauviel m'150s and m'250c
I'm looking at some pans in these two lines -- I understand...
Gooster
stainless flatware
does anyone have reed and barton allora flatware? i...
JoPierson
Wagners 1891 Dutch Oven
I have a couple of questions about a 5 qt Wagners 1891...
jpc57
Nu Wave Oven
Has anyone bought this? Is it worth the cost? It is...
marie26
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™