Preventing boilovers

bean_counter_z4November 21, 2006

I'm not a very attentive cook. I get involved in other things while boiling potatoes or pasta and the next thing I know I have a boil over. I even tried one of those gadgets that is supposed to prevent boilover. It broke the second time I used it.

Is there a gadget, a pan, a microwave gismo that won't boil over and won't break? I don't want to keep checking and adjusting the flame under my pans.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
gardenlad

I can't say firsthand, as when I'm cooking that's all I do. But those mesh covers that look like tennis rackets with very fine stringing are said to prevent---or at least minimize---boilovers.

If you must leave the stove, then don't cover the pots. That won't totally eliminate boil-overs, but it will keep them to a bare minimum. So, too, will using a larger pot, so there's plenty of room for expansion. Ideal would be to have a pot that's no more than half full.

Bookmark   November 21, 2006 at 12:21PM
azzalea

Best advice is to use a larger pot--one that has plenty of extra room.

I find that for cooking rice, using an enamelled cast iron pan seems to do a good job--don't whether it's the shape (I have the Lodge apple) or the fact that the lid is so heavy, but I never have boil-overs when I cook my rice in it.

Bookmark   November 21, 2006 at 1:39PM
bean_counter_z4

Thanks both of you. You're right of course--I should have realized that. I always reach for the smallest pot simply because it's easier to use and easier to wash. I'll grab the big pan next time. I have a splatter screen. I'll try it too.

Bookmark   November 21, 2006 at 3:19PM
More Discussions
Best cookware for induction?
After LIVING on the kitchen site for the last few months,...
dccnm
Fermented cabbage
Many people really enjoy as me the taste of fermented...
GeorgeLiv
Need a double boiler for induction cooktop
I need a 3 piece set: the bottom pan (induction ready),...
creativ3girl
pie crust in a Breville all in one food processor
Can a pie crust be made in a Breville all in one food...
Sue Molitor
Need advice on a soup pot
hi, I haven't bought cookware in years, so don't know...
ellenr22 - NJ - Zone 6b/7a
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™