How do you sharpen your knives?

gardengrlNovember 22, 2004

I have a nice set of Icel professional knives (chef, paring, boning, etc.) that need to be sharpened. Do you take your knives to be sharpened by a professional, or do you do your own sharpening? I was looking at the All Clad sharpener at W&S this weekend and wondered if it was worth it.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
kframe19

Lanskey sharpening system.

Bookmark   November 22, 2004 at 12:54PM
HappuCooker

I sharpen with an electric sharpener a few times a year and use the steel onthe blade before using the knife maybe every other time. My knives are decades old and still fabulous.

Bookmark   November 22, 2004 at 3:01PM
yorkiemom_chicago

I use the Wusthof sharpener (non-electric) occasionally and a steel as often as I remember. I have a stone, but I have trouble getting the angle right. The Wusthof tool is perfect for me.

Bookmark   November 22, 2004 at 3:18PM
jhart3

I use a Duosharp Extra Fine & Coarse Diamond Whetstone along with a pair of ceramic rods.

Global, Kasumi, whustoff and henkle, works well with all. Razor sharp.

Bookmark   November 22, 2004 at 6:59PM
ellen76

I use the Chef's Choice manual knife sharpener every time I use a knife. It is extremely easy to use, costs about $20, and keeps them in sharp shape. I get a new sharpener every six months or so, because they wear out after a while.

Bookmark   November 23, 2004 at 1:51PM
sunnyco

I use an edgepro apex unit. It was expensive but it works great and I have sharpened the knives of everyone whose house I have stayed at since, as well as my own.

Here is a link that might be useful: edgepro

Bookmark   November 27, 2004 at 5:25PM
lil_rhody

Lanskey system can't be beat.

Bookmark   November 28, 2004 at 7:49AM
sabernar

I go to the knife store and they sharpen them for about $4 a piece. And that includes non-staight blades like my bread knife which got seriously dull recently. Now they are all super sharp. Oh yeah, I have Henckel Pro S.

Bookmark   November 28, 2004 at 10:55AM
dereckbc

I sharpen professionally with paper wheels on a bench grinder.

Bookmark   November 30, 2004 at 5:05PM
cpovey

Lots of decent systems, a few really good ones (Lansky, EdgePro, Chef's choice). There are a lot of bad ones, mostly the ones built into a can openers and similar.

All good systems put multiple angles on a knife.

Colin

Bookmark   November 30, 2004 at 11:29PM
teresa_nc7

I use a steel to maintain the edge on my knives. Chef's Choice is a good system I am familiar with. DO NOT USE the built-in the can opener variety!

Be aware that you do not want to be removing the edge on your knives often - or in a few years, you'll have no knife. A new edge should only be put on about once a year with heavy everyday use. The rest of the time you maintain that edge with a steel or other type re-aligning tool.

Bookmark   December 1, 2004 at 7:27AM
measure_twice

silicon carbide wet-dry sandpaper sheets on a flat surface.

But reading the above posts, it seems I must have been doing it wrong all these years even though the blades have lasted decades.

Bookmark   December 2, 2004 at 1:21PM
jhart3

A also agree with the above that recommends only occational "sharpening" ... use a steel every use to realign... for hard blades, like global knives have, I use a diamond steel.

Bookmark   December 4, 2004 at 7:55PM
arley_gw

Here's an interesting link which discusses different sharpening systems exhaustively. After reading it I think I'm going to get a paper wheel setup.

Here is a link that might be useful: sharpening made easy

Bookmark   January 3, 2005 at 8:38PM
gardengrl

Wow, so many options! I decided to go have them done professionally for $2 a piece. I've got a professional steel for realigning the blade and use it regularly. I love my knives and didn't want to take the chance I would sharpen them incorrectly.

Bookmark   January 5, 2005 at 9:49AM
lazy_gardens

Whetstone and oil, like my grandpa taught me!

Bookmark   January 8, 2005 at 11:27AM
davejnh

I use a steel frequently to keep the edge aligned. Occasionally, when the steel doesn't seem to be doing the job I'll do a couple strokes through a manual Chef's Choice sharpener. Only two or three on the fine side, then finish with the steel.
DJ

Bookmark   January 9, 2005 at 8:26AM
cupofkindness

Can any one tell me how I can sharpen my Henckels Four Star knives? The set came with a steel, but I'm reluctant to use it since I am inexperienced. Thank you!

Also, here's a link from the "Knives #2" thread about sharpening knives:

Here is a link that might be useful: Knife sharpening

Bookmark   November 10, 2005 at 10:16AM
mrsmarv

Chef's Choice about once or twice a year. Sharpening steel after regular use.

Bookmark   November 10, 2005 at 1:24PM
cupofkindness

Mrs. Marv:

Exactly how do you use the sharpening steel?

Also, here is a different sort of Henckles sharpener. Does anyone have any opinions on this type? Thank you.

Here is a link that might be useful: Zwilling JA Henckels Twinsharp Knife Sharpener

Bookmark   November 11, 2005 at 6:52AM
suse17

We have Henckels knives, mostly, and use this sharpener. We like it. I can't say it's the greatest thing out there, since I've never used any other sharpener, but it does sharpen our knives well. It's small and cheap and very easy to use. When you draw the blade through you can feel the difference as the blade smooths out more with each pass. With a bit of practice (on some old, not so hot knives), we learned just how many time to pull each knife through the sharpener. We just use it when the steel no longer seems to do the job. Once we bought this gadget, we no longer send the knives out for sharpening any more - do-it-yourself is just fine.

Bookmark   November 28, 2005 at 11:15PM
trekker

Just heard this recommendation on The Splendid Table (National Public Radio, splendidtable.org): you can ship knives to holleyknives.com to have them sharpened. According to the report, you fill out a form so that they can send you shipping containers for the knives with a label. Haven't tried it, but that would be an option.

Bookmark   December 17, 2006 at 6:57PM
leolady

I use a Norton 3 stone whetstone and oil system that comes in a large plastic case with handles on each side to turn the stones and a steel.

Bookmark   December 20, 2006 at 3:49AM
More Discussions
which cookware to choose?
hi. i just joined the forum today. we're a newly wedded...
doduhdew
Need advice on a soup pot
hi, I haven't bought cookware in years, so don't know...
ellenr22 - NJ - Zone 6b/7a
cooks essentials talking microwave
I don't know if I should post this here or on the cooking...
vacuumfreak
induction questions: heat distribution vs. pan size, moisture
I bought a single-burner induction hotplate to try...
meeotch
tea kettles
Hi - does anyone know of a whistling tea kettle that...
chilloway
Sponsored Products
Savoy House Modern Contempo Mini Pendant
1800Lighting
Gallery Versailles 6-light Wrought Iron Chandelier
Overstock.com
Charles Grande Leather Sofa and Armchair Set Of 2 in Tan
$1,449.00 | LexMod
Marion Siena Gold 82-Inch Curtain Rod Cornice
$237.95 | Bellacor
Select Luxury E.C.O. All Natural Latex Medium Firm 8-inch Twin-size Hybrid Mattr
Overstock.com
Ivory Home & Porch Indoor/Outdoor Rug
$21.99 | zulily
Home Decorators Indoor/Outdoor Home Decorators Collection Rugs Baroness Beige 2
Home Depot
Rizzy Home Gray Embroidery on White Decorative Accent Pillow - PILT05974WH001818
$34.00 | Hayneedle
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™