What to look for in old cast iron

marys1000November 26, 2008

I tried new cast iron once and didn't get it seasoned right and gave it away. I'm thinking of trying again but still don't like the idea of pre-seasoned. I was thinking of picking up something at an antique or flea market. I also tend to worry about pre-used pans, who knows, maybe someone used it to cook meth at some point........but anyway!

If I were to see a cast iron skillet or dutch oven in such a store, what do I look for? Certain brands? Thickness?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Fori is not pleased

Older pans tend to be thinner and smoother. That's nice--they'll season faster and weigh very slightly less. I'd check for a flat bottom, partly because I have induction, but also just as a sign of decent craftsmanship. (Obviously that's not what you'd look for in round-bottomed or footed items.) A smooth interior that isn't rusty is best, but even pebbly is OK--just a little harder to season.

As far as using a used pan, I'm right there with you. I probably have an old post here about should I use this pot and how do I strip it since for all I know it was used as a camp toilet. Whether you burn off the old seasoning or EasyOff it, it'll be clean enough you won't have to worry about meth or poop.

Look for a nice fitting lid, too. Some brands are more famous than others, but I think there are plenty of the less common brands that are just as good.

Bookmark   December 2, 2008 at 6:10PM
More Discussions
Need a double boiler for induction cooktop
I need a 3 piece set: the bottom pan (induction ready),...
creativ3girl
Favorite tea kettle for induction?
Waiting patiently for my induction cooktop to be installed....
txjoyce
Recommendation for pans for high heat cooking
I like "high heat" cooking, not the kind...
azmom
Fermented cabbage
Many people really enjoy as me the taste of fermented...
GeorgeLiv
Best stockpot recommendations?
I've been slowly upgrading my cookware (Demeyere, Le...
Gooster
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™