Sears - Protection Plans

jen19083November 24, 2008

I'm considering purchasing some of my shiny, new appliances from Sears. (I'm not in the Viking, Sub-Z price point). Sears is offering the best deal on a GE Profile fridge I'm considering (even better than the GE friends and family discount). But, the service plans Sears offers are much more expensive than the GE direct plan ($550 for 5 years and $379 for 3 years, compared with $100 for 4 years - admittedly, I haven't researched fully what the GE plan entails).

Anyone have experience with these service plans?

Thanks in advance. (I'm posting this on the appliances forum, too).

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ya_think

I don't know, but based on my experience this past weekend trying to get a $2.99 replacement belt for my vacuum, I would be hesitant to buy anything from Sears again, especially not a service contracts. Without boring you with all the details:

- 800 number tells me my part number is wrong (it's not) but that the part I need is in stock at my local repair center.

- Same 800 number can't locate that same center on their system to confirm hours. Says the location I'm asking about doesn't exist. (it does.)

- Phone number on internet is not answered. Nor are 3 different phone numbers given to my by different store locations in the dozen or so calls I placed, most of which either disconnected me when transferring my call or put me through to a line that was never answered.

- Was told that the parts/repair centers often don't answer the phone because everything is walk-in. (No voicemail for hours, how would I follow up on a pending repair?)

- When I finally got to the "non-existent" repair center, they confirmed that the part showed avail on computer, but they didn't actually have one.

- The explanation I was given was a shrug and "I just work here."

Note that as promised I did not give you all the details. Sears? No thanks.

Bookmark   November 24, 2008 at 4:06PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
theresa_92841

I think it can depend upon the location. I have been very happy with my Sears protection plans so far. They have been responsive, capable and worth the money I spent. We'll see how that holds up as time goes on. I just bought some new appliances and will find out if it holds true for them too.

Bookmark   November 30, 2008 at 1:23AM
More Discussions
cancer warning on kitchenaid dw
New kitchenaid dishwasher manual has warnings for chemicals...
kickball
48 INCH DUAL FUEL RANGE OR LP GAS
Planning to purchase the 48 inch- dilemma: any inputs...
hkwan
Increased price for high end appliances
Hi All, Sorry for the long post - I'm getting incredibly...
loveumms
When should a boiler-warranty start?
We have a dispute with the company, that installed...
doofus
Need Help Selecting Propane Cooktop
I am looking to replace an electric cooktop with a...
dandkmom
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™