Range hood replacement

joebokNovember 17, 2013

First, I'm usually here for gardening. I feel a little odd posting here.

Second, I'm replacing appliances, so now I find myself here a lot. Comments here are great! Thanks!

I'm replacing a 40 year old O'Keefe and Merritt cooktop and hood. We are not redoing cabinets or counter, so the new cooktop and hood need to fit the existing spots.

This makes selecting the cooktop easy. There is only one cooktop available that fits.

The hood raises some operational questions. It seems to have a 250 CPM fan. After removing the filters, there are two fans (one on each side) and they spin-up and make a nice fan-noise. Doing a little flame test with a match, I couldn't see any sign of air being pulled in by the fans. Instead, air seemed to be blowing away.

Above the hood, there is a 3" x 10" rectangular metal flue.

Going outside and looking for a vent in the roof, it looks like the rectangular flue rises to the attic (very small space) and takes a diagonal course to connect with a vent rising from the oven (about 5 feet away).

I'm looking at Broan hoods to replace the existing hood and match the new cooktop. Does anyone know if I can connect a 300 CFM Broan hood to the existing rectangular vent?

We have never used the hood as a fan, probably because it didn't seem to pull any air. I might want to simply install a recirculating hood. I grill outside all year round. The cooktop is primarily used for boiling water and cooking stews.

Thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
foodonastump

If that duct is actually 3.25 x 10 then that's a standard size for which you can buy a transition to 6" round. In the CFM range you're talking about that will be what's called for. Depending on your specific situation, it could be easy or you could have to get creative. Just don't be tempted to get creative with flexible duct.

Bookmark   November 17, 2013 at 4:24PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
joebok

>Just don't be tempted to get creative with flexible duct.

OK and thanks!

The vent is 3.25 by 10. For the record, the hood is 36" x 21.25".

This post was edited by mytrees on Sun, Nov 17, 13 at 17:06

Bookmark   November 17, 2013 at 4:57PM
More Discussions
Any experience with a Miele or other plumbed-in coffee machine?
Heavily considering a plumbed in cva4066ss Miele coffee...
Vandit
Anyone have one of the new Viking Dishwashers?
They have rebuilt them from the ground up this year....
mkiv808
good experience with AJ Madison
Got a really good deal on $5k worth of Bosch appliances...
logastellus
2 Weeks With my New ASKO Dishwasher--a review
Since very few people here have ASKO dishwashers or...
needinfo1
Wolf porcelain chipping on new ovens
Argggggg!!!! New wolf E series ovens, purchased and...
jackson2348
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™