How to make one paragraph out of several sentences in Word 2003

ginjjNovember 16, 2011

Sometimes when I copy something off the web instead of it being in one paragraph or more, it is in a series of lines some being short some longer. There is no "wrapping" I guess you call it.

I can fix this problem at work by hitting two buttons but those two buttons don't work at home.

I know there is a way to do this but I've just searched again and don't find the answer.

Thanks,

Ginny

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ginjj

I just remembered I posted this question a while back. I just searched for it and found it. I tried the suggestions given and I still can't make it work.

I'm going to assume there is no easy way to do this and try to live with it. As I said in my original post in August 2010 I find it amazing that at work it's a simple two key process and here it's complicated and doesn't work for me.

Thanks
Ginny

Bookmark   November 17, 2011 at 12:28AM
kudzu9

When you copy like that, and it ends up weird like you describe, it means you have unavoidably copied over some formatting/codes. I usually find it simplest to copy it, paste it into Word, and then just move my cursor around to the weird formatting locations and backspace to remove everything between a pair of separated words, and then reinsert a space. It's not too hard unless you have pages of text.

Alternatively, you could try copying it into Notepad first, and then to Word, and see if that fixes the problem. Here is a description of how this works from a Wikipedia article:

"Notepad accepts text from the Windows clipboard. When clipboard data with multiple formats is pasted into Notepad, the program will only accept text in the CF_TEXT format. This is useful for stripping embedded font type and style codes from formatted text, such as when copying text from a web page and pasting into an email message or other WYSIWYG text editor. The formatted text is temporarily pasted into Notepad, and then immediately copied again in stripped format to be pasted into the other program."

Bookmark   November 17, 2011 at 1:58AM
mike_kaiser_gw

Word will recognize embedded code and formatting when you copy from a web page. Word click Edit : Paste As and then choose "unformated text". It also useful for stripping out formatting when you're pasting from another document.

Bookmark   November 17, 2011 at 8:08AM
fruitjarfla

Also ------ After performing the copy step, open Word.
Click Edit, Paste Special, then select Unformatted Unicode Text.

Bookmark   November 17, 2011 at 8:08AM
ginjj

I can't wait to try those ideas but off to work now.

Thank you so much for your help with this even though as I mentioned I've already asked for and received ideas a year ago. Hopefully this time something will work as I copy and paste a lot of stuff of the web.

Ginny

Bookmark   November 17, 2011 at 9:15AM
vala55

Ginny thanks for posting the question. I don't need it often, but will know what to try now.

Bookmark   November 17, 2011 at 9:25AM
More Discussions
About those Garden Web Styles themes and skins for Firefox
I see they are authored by GW members. Thank you everyone....
Chemocurl zn5b/6a Indiana
Adobe flash player and pdf reader installation on Win8
I have a new Win 8 touch screen laptop. I've been using...
hald
GW/Houzz page rendering on my browser
Weird question about GW/Houzz, over the last six months,...
dbarron
What a mess!
My user name on this forum is/was Tosh has been for...
Tosh
need help again regarding free office program
I asked for help in this area recently and never was...
Lea Grabb
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™