soy milk maker

pamphianOctober 30, 2008

I am thinking of getting a soy milk maker and would appreciate some advice since it is 20 mile trip to buy soy milk.

Thank you.

Pamphian

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ntt_hou

A soy milk maker?!? We, Asians, have always made our own and it's quite easy and simple. It's like making pea soup.

Soak soy beans overnight or for several hours. Put the beans in a blender with some water. Blend it well. Put the mixture in a pot. Bring it to a boil; then, reduce the heat and simmer for 10-15 minutes. Turn off the heat and let it cool down. Place a cheese cloth over a bowl and strain the mixture through it. Discard the remains. The liquid is practically soy milk!

Practice with a small quantity of water first, you can always liquify it to fit your taste.

Bookmark   October 31, 2008 at 1:27PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ntt_hou

Btw, some recipe would instruct you to strain the blended mixture first, then boil it. I believe that if you do it that way you'd be throwing away all the proteins that could be extracted from the remains of the soy beans when the mixture is heated up. So IMHO, it's best to heat it first, then strain it afterward.

Asians like to add a little sugar and pandan extract to it. If you ever go to a Vietnamese restaurant, you can give our version of this drink a try but do watch out that some restaurant liquify and add sugar a bit too much.

Bookmark   October 31, 2008 at 1:36PM
More Discussions
tea kettles
Hi - does anyone know of a whistling tea kettle that...
chilloway
Fermented cabbage
Many people really enjoy as me the taste of fermented...
GeorgeLiv
Need a double boiler for induction cooktop
I need a 3 piece set: the bottom pan (induction ready),...
creativ3girl
Need advice on a soup pot
hi, I haven't bought cookware in years, so don't know...
ellenr22
Best Non-Stick Cookware?
Saw a segment on this morning's news that says not...
jrb451
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™