Lost Email Folders

woodsy_1 Zone 5b IllinoisNovember 11, 2012

DH wiped everything off of my old iPhone3GS because I replaced it. In the process some of my email (ATT Yahoo) folders disappeared. Any ideas as to how I can get them back?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
woodsy_1 Zone 5b Illinois

I found a way to request that Yahoo restore the missing folders and their messages. Sorry if I panicked a bit, but I realize time is of the essence in such matters and I can't imagine how I would ever retrieve the work related stuff. The help on Yahoo the mail page is worthless!

Thanks for looking!

Bookmark   November 11, 2012 at 9:29PM
SnidelyWhiplash

Usually deleting a mail app from a phone does nothing to the version accessible from a website.

Anything you have, that the loss of would be a problem, should be backed up. Unexpected, unlikely, unplanned for events happen daily.

Bookmark   November 11, 2012 at 11:19PM
woodsy_1 Zone 5b Illinois

"Usually" would be the key word here. It seems there was a glitch in the process. Only some of the folders were lost. DH never touched them, nor did he delete any of the messages in them. He only deleted inbox messages that had been uploaded to the phone. I have pasted the reply I received from Yahoo:

Thank you for contacting Yahoo! Mail.
I understand that you want to recover the lost emails that were accidentally deleted on your POP/IMAP client. I apologize for the inconvenience this issue has caused you. Let me provide you more information regarding your concern. Please read on.
According to our records, it appears a POP or IMAP client may have deleted your messages. A POP Client is an application such as Microsoft Outlook or Mozilla Thunderbird, while an IMAP client is a mobile device such as a BlackBerry, or iPhone.
Emails deleted by a POP client are now moved to the Trash folder on the server. As long as the emails were deleted recently, you should be able to access your Yahoo! Mail account from a web browser and recover the messages from the Trash.
You can configure your POP client to leave messages on the Yahoo! Mail server or to delete them from the server. Check the instructions for configuring POP settings for your mail client by reading this article:
http://help.yahoo.com/kb/index?locale=en_SG&y=PROD_MAIL&page=content&id=SLN3255
Once messages have been deleted by a IMAP client, it's removed from your Yahoo! Mail account. Messages deleted by a IMAP mail client aren't recoverable.
If your mobile device continues to delete emails from your account, I recommend contacting the vendor of the device or your mobile carrier for further assistance.
Thank you again for contacting Yahoo! Mail.

I guess I'm screwed and have learned a big lesson. All of my other files back up nightly, and I burn all client communication folders weekly. I never dreamed I would lose what was stored on Yahoo's server.

I posted this because it may help someone later.

Bookmark   November 12, 2012 at 7:09AM
More Discussions
GW/Houzz page rendering on my browser
Weird question about GW/Houzz, over the last six months,...
dbarron
Recommendations for free backup software
I used to have Retrospect Express as my backup software...
secsteve
Hmmmm...can't "scroll" thru sites anymore on laptop?!?!!?
WTH?!?! My Del Inspiron laptop has decided that it...
Faron79
Adobe flash player and pdf reader installation on Win8
I have a new Win 8 touch screen laptop. I've been using...
hald
Lenovo's "malware" not just Lenovo's.
It's been found in a dozen or so apps, some pre-installed,...
lazy_gardens
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™