canning question

jennybogOctober 28, 2008

Does anyone know why you cant use aluminum pots for canning? I am canning marmalade and the largest pot I have is aluminum? Thanks Jenny

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
arley_gw

It's okay to use aluminum pots for canning; in fact, the top of the line All American pressure canners are aluminum.

Raw aluminum can react with certain foods, but that won't happen if the food is in jars. Are you talking about cooking the marmalade in the aluminum pot, or are you talking about using the aluminum pot as a water bath canner?

Bookmark   October 28, 2008 at 8:58PM
tcstoehr

Large aluminum stockpots make excellent water bath canners. Much better than those old thin, blue, speckled rustbuckets.

Bookmark   November 12, 2008 at 3:46PM
wind_dancer

Aluminum has been linked to Alzheimer's. I think it would be ok to cook the sealed canning jars in an aluminum pot but I'd recommend not cooking any food in the pot by itself.

Bookmark   November 28, 2008 at 3:13PM
readinglady

Not causally linked. Circumstantially linked. Nevertheless I wouldn't cook in aluminum for canning, as many home-canned foods (i.e. jams, tomato products, fruits, pickles) are high-acid and there can be flavor and color impairments due to interactions with the aluminum.

Carol

Bookmark   December 1, 2008 at 12:12AM
More Discussions
Any information on Evaco/Cast?
Just saw this in a kitchen store...latest non-stick...
rogerv_gw
tea kettles
Hi - does anyone know of a whistling tea kettle that...
chilloway
Help with Induction Cookware
I just bought a Samsung Induction cooktop, and I need...
element_z
White film/Oxidation on Wusthof Handles
I recently bought a set of Wusthof Classic Ikon knives...
rmverb
Help with a Farberware MicroBrew
I need some help figuring out how to use a Farberware...
ritaotay
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™