Tagine Sources?

gardenladOctober 10, 2006

More and more I find myself gravitating to North African dishes and would like to do them right.

Can anyone recommend a source for a good tagine?

Appreciate it.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
dmlove

I can point you to a ceramicist who I know has made some beautiful tagines. Email me if you're interested.

Bookmark   October 12, 2006 at 3:50PM
mwilk42

I saw some on Sur la Table website, also there were some on Ebay. Don't know anything about either. Hope this helps. Might Google for it and find something.

Bookmark   October 15, 2006 at 4:03PM
Marigene

I have a rifi (unglazed clay) and love it. There is a whole thread on cooking in tagines, you might want to check out.

I got mine from The Berber Trading Company for $34 plus s/h.

Here is a link that might be useful: Moroccan cooking/tagines

Bookmark   October 15, 2006 at 9:46PM
blondelle

One of the best on the market is the one by Emile Henry. It is also recommended by Paula Wolfert who has written several cookbooks and tagine recipes. You can even use it right on the stovetop for browning without a diffuser. Get the larger 12" one. About $90 though.

Bookmark   October 17, 2006 at 12:54AM
Marigene

I use the rifi, which is also recommended by Wolfert, on my gas stove without a heat diffuser (medium heat) and have had no problem.

Bookmark   October 17, 2006 at 6:04PM
Marigene

Sooooo, Gardenlad, what did you decide? Are you going to get a tagine?

Bookmark   October 22, 2006 at 7:57PM
gardenlad

Am I? Absolutely.

Still researching which one(s) to get. The Rifi is high on the list, however, as it seems to make the most sense for my circumstances. .

Bookmark   October 22, 2006 at 8:20PM
Marigene

I think the rifi is the best bang for your buck! I love mine and use it without a heat diffuser and have had no problems.

Bookmark   October 23, 2006 at 5:55PM
gardenlad

I'm intrigued, too, by the Ouriki. Seems to be the same sort of construction, but a little more aesthetically pleasing. Only a couple of bucks more.

The downside: they're out of stock. :>(

I have one major concern re: the rifi. Marigene, in your pix the rifi looks perfectly symetrical, as though it had been turned on a wheel. But the literature says they are hand-formed, rather than thrown, and are therefore not perfectly round and symetrical. And the photo at the Berber site really looks lop-sided.

Did you just luck out?

Bookmark   October 23, 2006 at 6:47PM
Marigene

Believe me, it is not perfectly symetrical, far from it!

Bookmark   October 23, 2006 at 10:11PM
gardenlad

Riddle me this, Marigene. If it's not symetrical, that means the lower edge of the crown doesn't make full contact with the bowl. Which in turn should mean that steam escapes from the bottom, instead of being converted in the automatic basting machine that a tagine is supposed to be.

Yes? Or am I reading too much into all this?

Another question: After curing it with olive oil, and then using it, do you wash it? Or just wipe it out and reoil, much as you would, say, cast iron?

Bookmark   October 25, 2006 at 9:42AM
gw:forget-me-nots

Le Creuset also makes a tagine (12") with a cast iron base: great for initial searing or browning. However, I heard that a cooking magazine (sorry, I don't remember which one) tested several tagines and decided that any Le Creuset french oven was a better slow cooker than the tagines. I would suppose due to its cast iron lid. Of course, the french oven doesn't look like a tagine, which is an essential part of meal presentation, right? There are also some really nice serving tagines at tagines.com.

Bookmark   October 26, 2006 at 4:45PM
gardenlad

Even if I liked the look of the LC (which I don't, particularly), I have a country-of-origin problem with anything from that company.

I did look at the serving tagines at that site, forget-me-nots, and have to agree. Some really beautiful stuff. But my concern, right now, is one I can cook in.

Bookmark   October 26, 2006 at 5:22PM
gardenlad

Well, my Ourika finally arrived, yesterday, and is curing even as we speak. Boy, do I have a list: Lamb with pumpkin & veggies; chicken with prunes; pork with corriander......

Thanks, everyone, for your suggestions and comments.

Bookmark   December 15, 2006 at 7:48AM
More Discussions
Mauviel m'150s and m'250c
I'm looking at some pans in these two lines -- I understand...
Gooster
Nu Wave Oven
Has anyone bought this? Is it worth the cost? It is...
marie26
Need a double boiler for induction cooktop
I need a 3 piece set: the bottom pan (induction ready),...
creativ3girl
Recommendation for pans for high heat cooking
I like "high heat" cooking, not the kind...
azmom
White film/Oxidation on Wusthof Handles
I recently bought a set of Wusthof Classic Ikon knives...
rmverb
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™