Now that Limewire is gone...

michelle_phxazNovember 9, 2010

I am in need of a good music download site. I would prefer a site that you pay a single fee for all the downloads instead of paying per song because I like to download a lot of music, but I don't always use what I download.

Thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
grandms

But it isn't! There is now a Limewire 5.6.2 (pirate edition) alive and well.

Bookmark   November 9, 2010 at 10:18PM
justme4now

You'd never catch me around Limewire!

Why not use Youtube .. Any and every song and video you could ever think of is there!?

Bookmark   November 10, 2010 at 1:20AM
michelle_phxaz

Thanks! The YouTube sound quality is really poor, but I will check out the new LimeWire.

Bookmark   November 10, 2010 at 4:45AM
justme4now

I have 100's of videos and audio that is of cd quality that I've downloaded from Youtube as well as other similar audio/video hosting sites.
Youtube has a HQ link to 'most' of their uploads.

I'll say it again .. I wouldn't go Anywhere near Limewire.
You are just asking for trouble.

Bookmark   November 10, 2010 at 5:27AM
justme4now

BTW: grandms (pirate edition) should give you a clue.

Bookmark   November 10, 2010 at 5:30AM
ravencajun Zone 8b TX

if you are ever in need of help on your pc from one of the support forums they will not help you if you fail to get rid of limewire. Why? well why help clean a pc when the person is going to go right back to the place they get infected from and do it all over again.
Not to mention the downloads are illegal music and video in most cases.

Pirate does say it all! If you are not aware of the dangers maybe you should view this video.

Limewire Hacking

and what the universities tell their students
Limewire Dangers

I would never suggest anyone use it.

Bookmark   November 10, 2010 at 10:48AM
asolo

I confess...I've used limewire....I have a Mac....I get nothing but music....at the quality represented.

Back off before you start... I do not "share"...I just pick off my 40-year-old stupid tunes and disappear. Whatever bad news may (or may not) be in there doesn't bother me or anyone else.

Bookmark   November 10, 2010 at 7:48PM
iowagirl2006

You are stealing songs though - even if you are not sharing.

Would you take a candy bar from the checkout - but if you didn't share it, it would be OK?

As far as paying a flat fee on Limewire - LimeWire Pro - you are NOT paying for unlimited downloads. You paid for a faster, add free download. You ARE NOT paying for the music - you are still pirating the songs. Read the fine print.

You probably won't get caught - but if you do - expect a big fine.

Bookmark   November 10, 2010 at 8:54PM
asolo

Understand and agree, actually. Yup...I'm a thief. However, trying to imagine a jury breaking me over my downloading Frank Stanley singing Asleep in the Deep from 1908. If it happens, I'll bet you'll read about it.

Bookmark   November 10, 2010 at 10:55PM
iowagirl2006

LOL, Asolo - probably won't be reading about that :) I think the copyrights have long expired on that.

Did you know there is a site with Mr. Stanley's collected works for download?

Here is a link that might be useful: Archive - Frank Stanley

Bookmark   November 10, 2010 at 11:11PM
casi

I am suffering because of Limewire.....my daughter visited us week end before last. While she was with us, she left her laptop on because she was trying to download a back-up program for her lap top, using her wireless capability to our IP. She has Limewire. The night after she left I was unable to connect to the internet. I rarely have a problem but figured it was related to my IP. I was a little under the weather so I put it off til the next day however the next am I was able to connect. Didn't think anything about it. That nite DH could not "get on". Next day I decided to see what the problem was. What I found out was that I had gone over my uploading limit (which I didn't even know I had one) by 131%!!! Because of that I got knocked down to a lower speed and am unable to connect during prime time! There is supposed to be a one time amnesty fix but so far I've been unable to find anyone that know exactly how to do it. Since I have a 30 day roll over, it is going to take quite a while to out run it. My daughter feels terrible about it and will be forbidden to even turn that lap top on when she visits next time!

Bookmark   November 17, 2010 at 3:42PM
grandms

It's not because of Limewire that you are "throttled". It's because your daughter left her laptop on while downloading a huge file. Any web site where large downloads are available would have done the same thing, ie, UTube downloaders. So blame your daughter, not Limewire.

Bookmark   November 17, 2010 at 4:35PM
casi

No, it was an "upload" violation, not "download"!

Bookmark   November 17, 2010 at 7:58PM
ravencajun Zone 8b TX

man I sure would be investigating just what was uploaded from your pc that is a LOT especially since she was connected to your wireless network.

Bookmark   November 17, 2010 at 8:46PM
grandms

Sounds as if music she has on her laptop was being uploaded via the "sharing". Sorry I misread and thought it was downloading.

Bookmark   November 17, 2010 at 9:47PM
lxbeetee_gmail_com

I dont know whats worse that the average joe doesnt know how to set up a router properly to kick off users, protecting over usage at 75% 85% and 100% intervals, or blaming a child for going over bandwidth usage. Which isn't even tangible. Get unlimited internet cheapskate. LOL!

Bookmark   May 23, 2011 at 2:15AM
owbist

lxbeetee instead of coming here poking at people why couldn't you have briefly explained the process of setting up a router instead? After all this is a help forum and your help might have been invaluable to some readers here.

Bookmark   May 23, 2011 at 6:49AM
ravencajun Zone 8b TX

did anyone notice how old this thread is that has been dredged up from the dead??

looks like spammmmmer

Bookmark   May 23, 2011 at 12:27PM
iowagirl2006

Get unlimited internet cheapskate. LOL!

You take for granted that such things are available to all. I have satellite internet, as that is the only thing available to me, other than dialup. It is pretty easy to go over the FAP limit, no matter what plan you use. They don't offer "unlimited" or if they did, I can't imagine the monthly bill.

Bookmark   May 27, 2011 at 12:30PM
grandms

Yes, and with wireless as my source, the limit is even less than with satellite. I really have to watch not to go over my limit.

Bookmark   May 28, 2011 at 4:13PM
mudlady_gw

Is Limewire a torrent? I undestand that downloading and using somthhing that is copyrighted is considered illegal. I do have a problem understanding why it is wrong to share ebook files but it is OK for me to buy a hard cover or paperback book and then pass it around to endless friends. If this practice is so common, and illegal, why can't it be stopped? I have relatives who use a torrent to get all kinds of music and they feel perfectly safe. Are they taking a risk?
Nancy

Bookmark   May 29, 2011 at 1:30AM
More Discussions
Still using XP with no problems.
Just thought this might interest those who are doing...
Jane
Lenovo's "malware" not just Lenovo's.
It's been found in a dozen or so apps, some pre-installed,...
lazy_gardens
Why won't iTunes let me sync audiobooks?
I have many audiobooks in iTunes and in my iPod. I...
caroline94535
Adobe flash player and pdf reader installation on Win8
I have a new Win 8 touch screen laptop. I've been using...
hald
Change color of blinking cursor
When I am editing something I have just written and...
mudlady_gw
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™