gmail accounts

ivamaeNovember 17, 2011

I had a gmail account and decided I would like a second one for another purpose, so I set one up. However, now I can't get into the first one - only the new one. Can anyone tell me how I can access each of them when I want to

I'll be very appreciative.

Thanks?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
bob414

You need to log out on one account before you can log into the other.

Bookmark   November 17, 2011 at 9:13PM
ivamae

I know I'm petty dense but how do I do that?

Bookmark   November 18, 2011 at 7:12AM
bob414

Click on your user name at the top right of your gmail page and select 'sign out' on the drop down menu.

Bookmark   November 18, 2011 at 8:35AM
ivamae

Thanks so very much.

I really, really appreciate your help

Bookmark   November 19, 2011 at 12:54PM
ginjj

This seems so simple, I didn't realize it was.

I'm thinking this is the way to have have and use a different email addresses when having to give your email address to companies when you are asking them questions?

My email address is my name which is good and bad. Bad when it comes to putting it out there for all to see.

Am I missing something, or is this a great way for me at least, to stop putting my name out all over the web?

Thanks.

Always learning..............

Ginny

Bookmark   November 21, 2011 at 10:32AM
not2bright

Hi, Ginny

Some services (like Hotmail, Yahoo and Fastmail) have aliases, additional email addresses at which you can receive email but which are part of your main account. You can create these aliases for use specifically with certain recipients. One alias for shopping, newsletter sign-ups, etc. Another for message boards, twitter, youtube, etc. Another for business, etc.

In fact, some people, knowing in advance that a certain service has aliases, will create an account with a username that they intend to use only for login purposes. They use only the aliases for actual sending/receiving of email. This helps keeps the account username secret and adds (a little) to the security of the account.

For Gmail (the subject of this thread) the only place aliases can be used is with Google Apps (where they are called "nicknames"). But to use that you have to have your own domain. They're cheap, though: about $10/yr -- and Google Apps is free.

But for regular Gmail account users, the only way to accomplish what you want is create a second (or third or fourth) account. Then, if you want to avoid always having to login and check both accounts, set up the second account to forward all incoming mail to your main account, and set up your main account to be able to send from the second Gmail account. Both of those are very easy to do. :-)

Bookmark   November 21, 2011 at 12:03PM
ginjj

Thanks for the great information! I do have Gmail so will look more closely at what you say about that service.

Happy Thanksgiving!!

Ginny

Bookmark   November 21, 2011 at 12:57PM
jane__ny

I have 5 different gmail accounts for those very reasons. We are house shopping and I have all my real estate searches coming in to one account. One is my private account, the other two are for forums, shopping, etc., anything which is not important.

I like it as I only have my private account coming into my cell phone which keeps me sane. The other accounts are accessible by computer only. Keeps all the junk off my phone.

Jane

Bookmark   November 21, 2011 at 9:19PM
More Discussions
Linkedin - Friend's Attempt to Subscribe me to it.
I know nothing of social media outfits and don't want...
mxyplux
Helping a elderly friend with their computer remotely
She is in her 90's, lives alone and needs help with...
jane__ny
What's with this new Houzz thing?
Been away a couple days, and came back to this, what...
shaddy101
Changing HOUZZ page appearance
I use Chrome browser and have an extension called Change...
jean_mi_z5
Basic Video Help Needed
I know almost nothing about getting videos from video...
chas045
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™