fantastic cookware?

chemarkSeptember 22, 2008

Hello All:

I'm slowly building up a solid kitchen. Got some sweet wine glasses, a nice wusthof knife set, a killer epicurian cutting board, and now, I want to buy some fantastic cookware...

I generally cook lots of chicken, fish, steak, veggies, rice, pasta. Pretty basic stuff, but I'd like to eventually branch out to some more exotic and complicated dishes. I use a gas burner stove top, and one of the burners has a very high flame.

I really like the advantages of non-stick cookware, especially since I don't cook with alot of oil or butter, although I've been reading that there might be health risks involved with that. Also, many times I cook it's on the go, and I don't want to spend alot of extra time cleaning my pots and pans. I tend to cook chicken, fish and steak at a high flame, because I like crusty, kind of burnt outside to my food.

The gold standard would seem to be a pan, or a set that has a copper sandwich or lining, and is made of a durable material, with some sort of non-stick surface. Does that even exist though? And if it does, is that a good product to buy, or is there better stuff out there?

What I'm really asking you cooking enthusiasts is, can you please point me in the direction of cookware that has fantastic performance and durability, with as little maintenance as possible? I'd really appreciate any help I could get.

Muchas Gracias,

Mark

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
deanb

Mark,

One good option for your kind of cooking is cast iron. It's inexpensive and will virtually be non-stick with good seasoning. You can buy pre-seasoned Lodge cast iron.

Another more (much more) expensive option is All-Clad copper core. Get some Bar Keeper's Friend for cleaning. It's next to the Comet cleanser in your supermarket.

The right way to use all cookware (except non-stick) is to preheat the pan, then preheat the fat (you don't have to use much) and have your meat at room temperature. You'll be surprised how little sticking will occur and you'll be able to build a fond that you can deglaze to make tasty sauces with. You might want a non-stick piece or two to cook eggs in.

Bookmark   September 23, 2008 at 2:19AM
More Discussions
glass top range / pots leave marks?
I have a new Kenmore Elite glass top range. The cooktop...
bretonb
Help with a Farberware MicroBrew
I need some help figuring out how to use a Farberware...
ritaotay
Pasta rolling pin aka mattarello
I'm planning on purchasing a mattarello or pasta rolling...
miscel
which cookware to choose?
hi. i just joined the forum today. we're a newly wedded...
doduhdew
Need a double boiler for induction cooktop
I need a 3 piece set: the bottom pan (induction ready),...
creativ3girl
Sponsored Products
Anchor Hocking Triple Casserole and Kitchen Tools Set
Overstock.com
Thermocast Kitchen Crisfield Drop-in Acrylic 17x22x9 1-Hole Single Bowl
Home Depot
Enclume Design Chevron Fireplace Screen - FPS2
$313.99 | Hayneedle
Paula Deen Collection Porcelain Nonstick 15-piece Set,Green Speckle
Overstock.com
Rev-A-Shelf Organization & Storage Premiere 24 in. Cookware Organizer 5389-21CR
Home Depot