turkey roaster rec?

Fori is not pleasedSeptember 28, 2008

I'm looking for recommendations for a turkey roasting pan, preferably not non-stick and even better if it's induction capable. Any suggestions? Thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
lindac

You don't want a non stick turkey roaster....
At least you don't if you want to use it for roasting a turkey.
It won't develop a fond and make good gravy and you can't use it over high heat.
How about a Calphalon or another anodized aluminum one?
Easy enough to clean.
Linda C

Bookmark   September 28, 2008 at 7:58PM
Fori is not pleased

Thanks Linda--it looks like a typo but I did mean to say not non-stick! :)

I do like Calphalon but it won't work on my induction cooktop. (I've got a few pieces collecting dust right now.) If I can't find an induction-capable "sticky" roaster I'll probably go Calphalon and hmmm...make gravy on the barbecue grill?

It doesn't look like one can get a cast iron turkey pan. I guess it would be awfully heavy when loaded, but seems like that would be ideal.

Bookmark   September 28, 2008 at 9:50PM
momj47

I like the roasting pans by Graniteware (the speckled black ones). I don't use a top. They make the BEST gravy. And I believe you can use them on an induction cooktop.

Bookmark   September 30, 2008 at 3:38PM
awm03

I love those graniteware roasters too. I use the top until the last 15 or 20 minutes when I take it off to crisp the skin.

They are enamel coated steel, so they should work on an induction cooktop.

Bookmark   October 2, 2008 at 11:14PM
Fori is not pleased

Thanks for the Graniteware suggestion. I think I have one, or (more likely) a knockoff that I picked up many years ago in the grocery store along with my first turkey. It has ribs on the bottom so while it works on the induction, it's not really even. But that's the least of MY cooking problems! :)

I think I'll look for a bigger one--mine does work well enough, but it's a little small for this year! I wonder if Graniteware ever made blue ones like mine. Hmm. But I agree. It works! Why mess with success?

Bookmark   October 3, 2008 at 11:54AM
lindac

If you are even thinking "granite ware"....think of searching for an old Savory roaster...
Believe me nothing cooks a turkey like they do! Self basting, heavy, dark, turkey browns well...nothing like it.
The bottom has double walled construction and the lid is made to be self basting.
My hot shot gourmet cook son pooh poohs the bird cooked in the old roaster with the lid....says it's not roasted but steamed....but when it comes time to carve the turkey, his job, he always says something like "I don't know, Mom, but your turkey is always so delicious"....perhaps it's the wine or bloody Marys before dinner?
But those old dark roasters are not to be beat.
Linda C

Here is a link that might be useful: roaster

Bookmark   October 3, 2008 at 8:04PM
Fori is not pleased

Thanks Linda. That does look pretty nice. But now I'm wondering if due to my limited storage space, a multi-use kind of roasting pan might be better than a giant covered roaster. Le Creuset has a pan that's 10.2 x 15.8 x 2.8 inches, but I'm not sure if it's big enough for a turkey. Clearly it's the right size for a dessert, though! ;)

Bookmark   October 8, 2008 at 1:01PM
newcook_2009

i was researching the same question. if space is a factor, you might want to check out Foldtuk roaster. it's foldable and saves space.

Bookmark   August 19, 2009 at 12:59PM
More Discussions
Mauviel m'150s and m'250c
I'm looking at some pans in these two lines -- I understand...
Gooster
Need a double boiler for induction cooktop
I need a 3 piece set: the bottom pan (induction ready),...
creativ3girl
Kitchen Selective food slicer
Would anyone know of source for parts for Kitchen Selective...
debby_1
New Viking Cookware
Has anyone tried the new Viking Cookware now being...
katespak
cooks essentials talking microwave
I don't know if I should post this here or on the cooking...
vacuumfreak
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™