Where is Waldo...err...the iso file?

juneroses Z9a Cntrl FlNovember 25, 2012

I got an error message when I tried to use my Ubuntu CD for banking today. I've had it awhile so decided to make a new one using the latest Ubuntu version. This has proved to be somewhat of an all-day challenge and still I have no working CD!

The problem is that I can't find the ISO file on my computer after I've downloaded it. I've downloaded Ubuntu twice and even tried Kubuntu. The files show in Firefox downloads, but I can't point to them as a source for the burn because I can't find them on the computer.

Before I did the 3rd download, I went into Firefox (Release 17) to be certain of where the downloads were located (surprise...in "Downloads"). During the download I directed that the file was to be opened with ImgBurn. Earlier I had downloaded and installed this program for the purpose of making the CD. I had easily found it in the "Downloads" file (where it was supposed to be) and successfully installed it.

In My Computer, I've checked to be sure that hidden files are NOT hidden.

I've done a computer search on the C drive (and even D, for good measure) for any iso file...nada! I also searched to no avail using "ubuntu" and "kubuntu".

I didn't have any problems making the first Ubuntu CD.

I know asking you to find something on my computer is laughable since there are so many possibilities and variables but I'll ask anyway. Any ideas?

I realize I could just buy a Live CD but I hate to lose this round to the computer.

Specs: Win XP with SP3, and up-to-date Avast, ZA, MBAM, SAS, & Spyware Blaster

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
azinoh

Start>>>Documents>>>My Documents>>>Downloads???

Bookmark   November 25, 2012 at 7:00PM
bob414

Right click on the file in the download dialog box and select 'open containing folder'. The folder should open with the file highlighted.

Bookmark   November 25, 2012 at 7:06PM
juneroses Z9a Cntrl Fl

Addendum to my earlier post: I wanted to mention that when I click on the Ubuntu file in Firefox/Tools/Downloads, the option to "Open Containing Folder" is grayed out.

Thanks for the suggestion, Azinoh. I have two Downloads folders. One is under Desktop and the other is under My Computer. There's no sign of the iso file in either. The Imgburn file I downloaded and installed earlier today was in My Computer/Downloads

Bookmark   November 25, 2012 at 7:18PM
ravencajun Zone 8b TX

I would try downloading again and set firefox to let you select where the file goes, then when the dialog box ask choose to put it on the desktop so it will be easier to find.

Where are you getting the iso from?
?

Bookmark   November 25, 2012 at 8:13PM
ravencajun Zone 8b TX

Distrowatch is a good place to download from. They have pretty much all the distros there.

Here is a link that might be useful: Distrowatch

Bookmark   November 25, 2012 at 8:16PM
juneroses Z9a Cntrl Fl

Decided to try IE instead of FF and that proved to be the solution.

I think, behind the scenes, ZA was causing the problems in FF.

When I started the Ubuntu DL with IE, a ZA box immediately appeared, advising it was preventing the DL; I was given the option to allow it. Once I said yes, the whole Ubuntu DL and progress bars were within a ZA window.

Thanks for the Distrowatch link Raven. I had learned of it earlier and it was thru that site that I went to ubuntu.com for the now successful DL.

Bookmark   November 25, 2012 at 9:43PM
More Discussions
error message
All of o sudden when I started up my machine this PM...
Christopher Nelson Wallcovering and Painting
Nasty popup screen
I am constantly getting a 3 by 4 inch video popup screen...
paulsmth2
How to uninstall Avast From my laptop
I will be removing Avast from my laptop windows 7 computer...
thirdfrt
How do I choose a power supply
I have a 300 watt power supply. I want to upgrade...
Pooh Bear
XP backup reinstall
Back again, considering doing a XP backup (what's best...
jerry_nj
Sponsored Products
Crosley Musician 5 in 1 Entertainment Center Multicolor - CR704C-PA
$119.98 | Hayneedle
Full/Queen 600TC Flat Sheet - WHITE/CHAMPAGNE
$475.00 | Horchow
Schonbek Olde World Collection 23" High Crystal Wall Sconce
Lamps Plus
King 200TC Fitted Sheet - WHITE
$120.00 | Horchow
Louisville Cardinals Banner Flag
$17.99 | zulily
New Unique Super Kazak Runner 3x10 Hand Knotted Oriental Red & Ivory Rug H3365
BH Sun Inc
Christopher Knight Home Tate Tufted Leather Counter Stools (Set of 2)
Overstock.com
SomerTile 3x6-inch Reflections Earth Glass Mosaic Tile (Case of 64)
Overstock.com
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™