Good Pressure Cooker to buy?

razenetteSeptember 1, 2008

What is a good pressure cooker to purchase? Not the old type w/jiggle thing on top! Thank You so much, razenette

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
suzyq3

We have two Kuhn Rikon pressure cookers and love them. They are extremely well-made, like good cookware. We have the large Dutch oven type and the 5 quart "braiser" style.

Here is a link that might be useful: Kuhn Rikon

Bookmark   September 2, 2008 at 11:19AM
razenette

Thank You suzyq3 for your "input"....razenette

Bookmark   September 3, 2008 at 10:13AM
razenette

I wound up purchasing the "Fagor" ON SALE from HSN today.I got the 6qt.one you just put on the stove. No fancy things. Years ago I used this type & never had a problem.
I'm excited to recieve it & try out. I think it comes w/Recipes too. It did have a 5-STAR rating. razenette

Bookmark   September 4, 2008 at 10:23AM
arley_gw

I have a Kuhn Rikon 6 qt stockpot-style PC, and also a Fagor Multi set which consists of an 8 qt stockpot and a 4 qt saute-pan shaped fry pan with a pressure lid that fits both the stockpot and the fry pan.

Both perform very well. The KR is a little slicker on 'fit & finish', but I can't tell much difference in the performance between the KR and the Fagor units. I am surprised as to how much I have used the fry pan, though. I often take some cheap cuts of beef, brown them, add a little liquid and pressure cook the heck out of them and I get fork-tender flavorful meat from a cheap cut.

While the Kuhn Rikon is absolutely top-of-the-line, the Fagor certainly seems to be the best value for the dollar. The link is to that multi set I described; I got it at a local department store for around $100. The KR is more expensive.

Two more observations: some PC's tout having a low pressure and a high pressure level. I've never used a low pressure setting and don't see much use for one; IMHO I don't see much point in it. Don't necessarily avoid one with two settings (the KR has two settings) but I wouldn't put too much stock in that as a selling point. The Fagor Multi has just one (high) setting and it works just fine.

Finally, whichever one you get, you might want to get a copy of a Lorna Sass cookbook or two. She is the head honcho (honchess? Honcha?) of PC cooking. Her latest book, Pressure Perfect, is very complete. I have it, along with The Pressured Cook and Cooking Under Pressure and her Vegetarian PC book. All are excellent.

Another good resource is missvickie.com.

I didn't get my first PC until I was in my fifties; wish I had gotten one a lot sooner. I couldn't see having a kitchen without one.

Finally, FWIW: on one of those Iron Chef shows I saw Mario Batalli use a Kuhn Rikon cooker. On an episode of Good Eats I saw Alton Brown use what looked like a Fagor cooker.

Here is a link that might be useful: fagor multi set

Bookmark   September 5, 2008 at 11:11AM
More Discussions
induction stove power boost function
Have a set of Zwilling cookware and their brochure...
metaphilos
Best Non-Stick Cookware?
Saw a segment on this morning's news that says not...
jrb451
silicone baking mat aftertaste
i got silicone baking mats on overstock.com a couple...
ardcp
Is there lead in this antique brass pitcher?
Hello, I have a fondness for antique metal cookware...
bradleyd_svh
Best stockpot recommendations?
I've been slowly upgrading my cookware (Demeyere, Le...
Gooster
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™