parchment paper

mollyjaneaSeptember 17, 2005

i was told by a helpful poster to use parchment paper to move pizza to pizza stone to bake it, and to leave paper on stone through baking. never used p paper before...it doesn't burn? thanks, mol

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
teresa_nc7

That's how I bake my pizza at 500 degrees in my home oven. The parchment paper may darken and char around the edges, but it doesn't catch on fire - at least not for me. I try to have the square of paper measure just about the size of my round pizza - meaning no extra inches of paper hanging off the sides.

Bookmark   September 17, 2005 at 1:38PM
sunnyco

Sometimes I even trim the paper in a circle (er, not really a circle, more like an ameoba shape) around the pizza, and it does get dark and brittle around the edges, but no fires have happened.

Bookmark   September 17, 2005 at 4:57PM
lindac

I often cook "en pappilotte"....meaning wrapping food in parchment and baking. I cook bread and cookies on parchment....never a problem.
Much easier than greasing a pan....and easier to clean up too!
Linda C

Here is a link that might be useful: cooking with parchment

Bookmark   September 18, 2005 at 1:25PM
teresa_nc7

Amen and amen, Lindac! I don't ever bake cookies or bread loaves on a sheet pan w/o using parchment paper anymore; life is too short to spend it greasing pans and washing them up after baking.

Bookmark   September 18, 2005 at 3:07PM
gibby2015

This is a timely post for me. I have never used parchment paper. Recently I was visiting a friend and she was advising me to get with the program. Can you buy this at a regular grocery store - or do you have to buy it at a cooking store?

Bookmark   September 18, 2005 at 6:10PM
teresa_nc7

I think that now most of your larger grocery stores have parchment paper - usually in the aisle with Saran Wrap, aluminum foil, paper lunch bags, etc.

Bookmark   September 18, 2005 at 10:47PM
mollyjanea

great info, as always. thanks a bunch, trying it tonite! mol

Bookmark   September 19, 2005 at 11:47AM
sunnyco

I have bought it at the restaurant supply. The last box I bought was not like the parchment I had before. It came in sheets and was thinner than the regular parchement, so it did not work well for pizza dough. I use it for lots of other stuff though. I paid two dollars for 1,000 sheets of bakery sheet cake size so I have to cut it in half (at least!) to use it.

Bookmark   September 19, 2005 at 6:04PM
HanArt

The roll of parchment I have now says not to use with temps higher than 420°... the one previous said not higher than 450°.

Stacy, one of the Cooking forum members had parchment catch on fire in her oven. User beware!

Bookmark   September 19, 2005 at 7:36PM
More Discussions
Favorite tea kettle for induction?
Waiting patiently for my induction cooktop to be installed....
txjoyce
Need a double boiler for induction cooktop
I need a 3 piece set: the bottom pan (induction ready),...
creativ3girl
Best stockpot recommendations?
I've been slowly upgrading my cookware (Demeyere, Le...
Gooster
Any information on Evaco/Cast?
Just saw this in a kitchen store...latest non-stick...
rogerv_gw
induction questions: heat distribution vs. pan size, moisture
I bought a single-burner induction hotplate to try...
meeotch
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™