Help with Word document

minnie_txNovember 16, 2011

I've done a google on this and found several "answers" but cant either understand them or just cant figure them out. What I want to do is merely take something I have in my file as a Word Document left aligned and change to a justified paragraph in other words so that both margins are even

does tht make sense?

I've done the select all and change the left to justified but the right margin is still staggered

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
owbist

You do not state which version of word.

In Office 2007 bring up the document, click in the left margin 3 times to highlight the entire page, then click the justify button. Save after of course.

Bookmark   November 16, 2011 at 7:34PM
minnie_tx

Sorry I'm still working with Word 2002 and have been happy with it. I wish I could make atemplate so anything I paste to it would come out ok Thanks

Bookmark   November 16, 2011 at 8:16PM
bob414

I've been using word processors since using Paperclip on my Commodore 64 and you've always justified text by selecting the text and clicking the 'justify button'. Since that's not working for you I think there must be some other formatting in your document that is preventing it. I have no idea what that could be. Try right aligning the text and let us know if that works.

Bookmark   November 16, 2011 at 8:32PM
minnie_tx

I've tried that. I sent a document to someone that I had created and they reported it took so long to get it formated into the Justify thing. I'll keep trying thanks again I have to go back and study that google like

Here is a link that might be useful: Tiny Tutorial: Improve justified type settings

Bookmark   November 16, 2011 at 9:32PM
bob414

Minnie, that tutorial is telling you how to justify text in a program called Adobe InDesign, not MS Word.

Bookmark   November 16, 2011 at 10:07PM
minnie_tx

Thanks Bob that justification is how I want it to look tho

Bookmark   November 16, 2011 at 10:45PM
fruitjarfla

Another 2 cent contribution:
The overall looks of the Tutorial appears to me to have the margins equal, rather than all of the text justified. If all of the lines of text were center-justified both the left and right sides of the page would have jagged edges since all of the words on a line have a different combined number of letters. A simple example: The word two is of course 3 letters whereas the word three has 5. If each of these was on a different line and center-justified, both sides would be jagged so long as the margins were equal. But in order to get nearly every line of equal length, you would have to resort to hyphenating some words at the end of a line that did not exactly match the margins that have been set -- as is done with some newspaper editing. Not all of their lines are exact but come within reason, choosing to hyphenate only the longer words. The Tutorial example "Adding Flush Space" is an illustration of the process used by the newspapers.

Bookmark   November 18, 2011 at 10:57AM
fruitjarfla

Add-on.
After selecting the text, my Word 2000 uses Format: Columns: One -- to format a page into what seems to be what you are looking for. As an example, I copied my previous posting and pasted it into Word 2000. I then selected Format, Columns, One and it was reformatted into identical length lines by using extra spaces and spacing to make them the same.

Bookmark   November 18, 2011 at 11:15AM
john4291

Have you tried using Open Office 3.3 a free program that will
open Word files and in the format menu > alingment > justify
should give you what you want. It is FREE.

Bookmark   November 19, 2011 at 12:57AM
abreeze

Have you tried selecting "all" and then "clear formatting"?

Bookmark   November 19, 2011 at 9:59PM
minnie_tx

After selecting the text, my Word 2000 uses Format: Columns: One -- to format a page into what seems to be what you are looking for. As an example, I copied my previous posting and pasted it into Word 2000. I then selected Format, Columns, One and it was reformatted into identical length lines by using extra spaces and spacing to make them the same.
xxx
Tried it didn't work Thanks

Bookmark   November 20, 2011 at 8:18PM
TulsaRose z7a, Tulsa OK

Minnie, maybe this Office article will help.

Here is a link that might be useful: Alternative full text justification in Word

Bookmark   November 21, 2011 at 4:12AM
More Discussions
Need help turning old computer into HTPC
I have an old computer. c2001. Motherboard is a D865GBF,...
Pooh Bear
What a mess!
My user name on this forum is/was Tosh has been for...
Tosh
how do I bypass my login?
I recently took my HP laptop to Data Doctors and it...
cornsnake_lover
OK, turned my back, and the kids are playing with
backgrounds, and making the viewing easier on the eyes....
shaddy101
Lenovo's "malware" not just Lenovo's.
It's been found in a dozen or so apps, some pre-installed,...
lazy_gardens
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™