Dehydrator?

ms_minnamouseAugust 16, 2011

What's a good, reasonably priced food dehydrator? It's for home use. Is spinning trays important?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Paisley3

I like my excalibur dehydrator also. It is expensive but you can do so much more in one because it is larger than cheaper models out there and the process dries from the back instead of bottom up, making it more efficient.

Bookmark   August 16, 2011 at 11:31PM
Suzy_Bean

There are also some easy-to-make solar dehydrators as well, and they can be made cheaply--even with cardboard!

Bookmark   August 27, 2011 at 3:45PM
rosieo

I found 2 Excalibers on craigslist. The first one was $125 and the next week I found the second for $100.

My first dehydrator was from Walmart. I liked it well enough before I bought the Excalibers.

Bookmark   January 28, 2012 at 10:05PM
Trishcuit

I found a Nesco dehydrator on ebay. It is on its way to me as we speak. My current unit is a dinosaur Ronco without even an on/off switch let alone any controls. Plug in: on. Unplug: off. It also takes three days to do what should take 1 or 2. It's an oldie.

Bookmark   August 21, 2012 at 1:53AM
klseiverd

Have a very inexpensive, no-frills dehydrator... think I got it at Rite-Aid... many years ago for maybe $9.99?? Don't do any serious dehydrating but wanted to pass along one thing I did with mine.

Bought a bag-o jalapenos at Produce Junction... think it was 2 lbs for something like $2.50... a LOT of peppers. I knew they'd go bad before I ever used them up... not a BIG fan of hot stuff. I cut stems off, sliced length-wise and just let them go in dehydrator until "crispy". Then threw them into food processor to grind up. Ended up with some pretty fine jalapeno powder that I sub for cayenne or black pepper in rubs and things. After first batch, made a mental not to SELF! COVER food processor with damp towel and do NOT pull the lid off without letting all the DUST settle!! Didn't do either of those things and bet I sneezed for almost an hour!

Bookmark   October 4, 2012 at 6:44PM
More Discussions
Best Non-Stick Cookware?
Saw a segment on this morning's news that says not...
jrb451
Recommendation for pans for high heat cooking
I like "high heat" cooking, not the kind...
azmom
Need advice on a soup pot
hi, I haven't bought cookware in years, so don't know...
ellenr22
induction questions: heat distribution vs. pan size, moisture
I bought a single-burner induction hotplate to try...
meeotch
Mauviel m'150s and m'250c
I'm looking at some pans in these two lines -- I understand...
Gooster
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™